Help choosing the correct references

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ElliotNessquire

Help choosing the correct references

Postby ElliotNessquire » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:45 pm

I need help thinning down who to ask for references. The only one I know for sure that I will ask is a district court judge here in Kansas. Other options include:

The president of the Jesuit university I attended my freshman and sophomore year of college (clergyman who holds a JD)

A well-respected criminal defense attorney with ties to both Kansas law schools

Managing Partner at one of the largest law firms in Kansas. Graduated from a law school I don't plan on applying to

Dean of Students at the university I graduated from (Big 12 school)

Previous professor from undergrad who doesn't hold a Ph.D but does happen to be the director of one of the top forensics teams in the country.

I appreciate any input that can be offered. Thanks!

rinkrat19

Re: Help choosing the correct references

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:50 pm

Get LORs from people who have actually either taught you in class or directly supervised you at work. It doesn't matter if the letter is from the Pope himself if he can't address your actual skills, qualities and demeanor. Ideally get two academic LORs and one professional.

ElliotNessquire

Postby ElliotNessquire » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Get LORs from people who have actually either taught you in class or directly supervised you at work. It doesn't matter if the letter is from the Pope himself if he can't address your actual skills, qualities and demeanor. Ideally get two academic LORs and one professional.

Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned that I took a class taught by the president of the Jesuit university in a pretty intimate setting of only 10 students. The class was a study of leadership practices through literature.

ElliotNessquire

Postby ElliotNessquire » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:48 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Get LORs from people who have actually either taught you in class or directly supervised you at work. It doesn't matter if the letter is from the Pope himself if he can't address your actual skills, qualities and demeanor. Ideally get two academic LORs and one professional.

What if previous work doesn't seem to correlate to the legal field well? My background is in the menswear business, helping to run a locally owned store.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:49 pm

ElliotNessquire wrote:

What if previous work doesn't seem to correlate to the legal field well? My background is in the menswear business, helping to run a locally owned store.

Academic if at all possible, if not, direct supervisors.

ElliotNessquire

Postby ElliotNessquire » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:56 pm

phillywc wrote:
ElliotNessquire wrote:

If that's the case, should I not even use the judge as he is neither of those to me?

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:06 pm

ElliotNessquire wrote:
phillywc wrote:
ElliotNessquire wrote:

If that's the case, should I not even use the judge as he is neither of those to me?

Correct. They will not be imrpessed that you know a judge. Did the judge ever supervise your work? I could see MAYBE using it as a third letter.

ElliotNessquire

Postby ElliotNessquire » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:13 pm

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”