Chances for Stetson/FIU

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jdul34839

Chances for Stetson/FIU

Postby jdul34839 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:42 pm

I am taking the February lsat and have a gpa as averaged on lsac of 3.28.

What lsat score range would give me a good shot at just getting into stetson or FIU?

RhymesLikeDimes

Re: Chances for Stetson/FIU

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Both are terrible schools. Don't go to either.

jdul34839

Postby jdul34839 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:01 pm

I was asking in regards to admissions, however I appreciate any extra insight.

d cooper

Postby d cooper » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:17 pm

The latest GPA/LSAT class medians at these respective schools are posted at LST right under their dismal employment stats. Usually to be admitted to a school you need to be above at least one median.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=stetson
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=fiu

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:34 pm

m
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nucky

Postby Nucky » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:03 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Both are terrible schools. Don't go to either.

Their employment stats via http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/ actually aren't as horrendous as I would have thought.

OP, you have a semi-decent GPA, and I assume you have never taken the LSAT, so my advice is to retake the LSAT until you can get into UF or FSU, at least. However, if you MUST choose, I would probably lean Stetson as it enjoys a good reputation in Florida. Just don't plan on ever sniffing big-law.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:28 pm

jdul34839 wrote:What would give me a good shot at Stetson/FIU

A pulse.

Seriously, bad idea.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:38 pm

If you don't have a LSAT score yet, no need to settle. Aim for UF/FSU at a minimum, but people with your GPA have gotten UVA and Duke, both of which place well in Florida IIRC.

leroyjenkins6969

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:13 pm

It's not that this is bad advice, but you may literally be shitting on this person's dreams. Ok...figuratively shitting on their dreams. I don't understand why so many people on TLS have this attitude.

Sure, the job prospects coming out of those schools aren't great. But prospects must be evaluated against realistic alternatives, not unachievable ideals. Going to a law school like Stetson can actually be the prospect with the highest expected utility for some folks. I am disheartened that many TLSers can be so obtuse, and worse yet, offer advice that isn't applicable to everyone. Not all law students want "Big Law."

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:16 pm

$200K in debt for a minimal boost to job prospects? Unless the alternative is prison-time, I don't think you could do much worse.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:23 pm

leroyjenkins6969 wrote:

It's not that this is bad advice, but you may literally be shitting on this person's dreams. Ok...figuratively shitting on their dreams. I don't understand why so many people on TLS have this attitude.

Sure, the job prospects coming out of those schools aren't great. But prospects must be evaluated against realistic alternatives, not unachievable ideals. Going to a law school like Stetson can actually be the prospect with the highest expected utility for some folks. I am disheartened that many TLSers can be so obtuse, and worse yet, offer advice that isn't applicable to everyone. Not all law students want "Big Law."

All reasonable TLSers want people to get the jobs they want and to not be buried by debt. Get a grip.

By and large, these schools are where dreams and financial futures go to die. Literally.

sublime

Postby sublime » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:25 pm

leroyjenkins6969

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:33 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:$200K in debt for a minimal boost to job prospects? Unless the alternative is prison-time, I don't think you could do much worse.

You can do a lot worse than a $60,000 job working as an attorney is a small firm. My guess is, you are doing worse right now.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:36 pm

leroyjenkins6969 wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:$200K in debt for a minimal boost to job prospects? Unless the alternative is prison-time, I don't think you could do much worse.

You can do a lot worse than a $60,000 job working as an attorney is a small firm. My guess is, you are doing worse right now.

Plus $3,000 a month loan payments or a big tax bomb 25 years down the road. Sounds like the life.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:37 pm

This is like a company planning for bankruptcy before developing their initial marketing scheme, a couple planning for divorce while dating or a country planning how they will pay out reparations before declaring war.

leroyjenkins6969

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:
leroyjenkins6969 wrote:

All reasonable TLSers want people to get the jobs they want and to not be buried by debt. Get a grip.

By and large, these schools are where dreams and financial futures go to die. Literally.

Yes, let everyone get the jobs they want. But you have no idea what kind of job OP wants. There are many successful people who go to schools like Stetson. To simply strike a not-so-stellar law school from the option set without considering the alternative prospects shows a gross misunderstanding of utility optimization.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:40 pm

leroyjenkins6969 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
leroyjenkins6969 wrote:

Yes, let everyone get the jobs they want. But you have no idea what kind of job OP wants. There are many successful people who go to schools like Stetson. To simply strike a not-so-stellar law school from the option set without considering the alternative prospects shows a gross misunderstanding of utility optimization.

There are a lot more unsuccessful people who go to a school like Stetson.
There are some successful people who drop out of grade school, does not mean it is a good idea.

leroyjenkins6969

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Gooner91 wrote:
There are some successful people who drop out of grade school, does not mean it is a good idea.

True, though your claim that there are more unsuccessful people than successful people at Stetson is unsupported, and without a working definition of successful, comes off as a non sequitur.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:50 pm

leroyjenkins6969 wrote:

What exactly do you think a 56.5% employment score means? Don't make up numbers and throw them around as if they mean something. According to Law School Transparency, we know very little about the salary data for FIU and Stetson grads. One thing we do know is that for the Stetson class of 2010 (over three years ago), at least 10.8% made $60,000 or more.

0Ls, please do your research with resources like LST and seek advice from people who have actually experienced the terrible legal hiring market; don't listen to morons who make up numbers, toss out unverified generalities, and spout phrases like "utility optimization."

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:54 pm

"Utility optimization?" Grow up kid. Here's a phrase for you: debt pwned with no job. That's what happens to far too many kids who attend these schools. Just because some people have good outcomes doesn't mean it's a good bet. It's totally fine to dismiss a school as an option when the average outcome is so crappy.

leroyjenkins6969

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:55 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
What exactly do you think a 56.5% employment score means? Don't make up numbers and throw them around as if they mean something. According to Law School Transparency, we know very little about the salary data for FIU and Stetson grads. One thing we do know is that for the Stetson class of 2010 (over three years ago), at least 10.8% made $60,000 or more.

0Ls, please do your research with resources like LST and seek advice from people who have actually experienced the terrible legal hiring market; don't listen to morons who make up numbers, toss out unverified generalities, and spout phrases like "utility optimization."

I think my initial point was, don't listen to anyone on the TLS forums. Especially those that spout phrases. So I actually agree with the philosoraptor.

leroyjenkins6969

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:56 pm

BigZuck wrote:"Utility optimization?" Grow up kid. Here's a phrase for you: debt pwned with no job. That's what happens to far too many kids who attend these schools. Just because some people have good outcomes doesn't mean it's a good bet. It's totally fine to dismiss a school as an option when the average outcome is so crappy.

Not when the alternatives are even crappier.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:58 pm

leroyjenkins6969 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:"Utility optimization?" Grow up kid. Here's a phrase for you: debt pwned with no job. That's what happens to far too many kids who attend these schools. Just because some people have good outcomes doesn't mean it's a good bet. It's totally fine to dismiss a school as an option when the average outcome is so crappy.

Not when the alternatives are even crappier.

What's crappier than being 100K+ in debt and having worse job prospects than you started out with because people are afraid to hire JDs for non-lawyer jobs?

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:01 pm

leroyjenkins6969 wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:

I think my initial point was, don't listen to anyone on the TLS forums. Especially those that spout phrases. So I actually agree with the philosoraptor.

If the counterargument is just that it's bad to shit on people's dreams, you're resorting to ad hominem. It's against our cultural norms to give people unsolicited advice in real life, or to tell them not to pursue a dream they have. Unless the dreamer has been exposed to this before, it's natural for them to react with aggression to what they perceive to either be a threat or sign of disrespect. If anything that makes what people say on the forums more truthful. There's no fear of real life conflict to amend the responses. Like when you ask a child if you look fat, you get honest albeit discomforting advice.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:05 pm

leroyjenkins6969 wrote:
Gooner91 wrote:

True, though your claim that there are more unsuccessful people than successful people at Stetson is unsupported, and without a working definition of successful, comes off as a non sequitur.

I would say that people who have a paycheck to debt ration that crushes their soul is unsuccessful. By looking at LST we can see this is the most likely outcome for a graduate of a school like Stetson.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”