why law addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BenjarvusGreenEllis

why law addendum

Postby BenjarvusGreenEllis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:46 pm

My PS is a personal narrative that does't really touch on "why law." Would it be acceptable to put a short "why law" or "why x school" as an addendum?
Last edited by BenjarvusGreenEllis on Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gooner91

Re: why law addendum

Postby Gooner91 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:48 pm

BenjarvusGreenEllis wrote:My PS is a personal narrative that does't really touch on "why law." Would be acceptable to put a short "why law" or "why x school" as an addendum?

I think it varies from school to school what is allowed as an optional addendum.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 pm

I've never seen a school that asks for this or indicates they would accept it. If it's important, maybe try rewriting your PS and working it in?

BenjarvusGreenEllis

Postby BenjarvusGreenEllis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:59 pm

midwest17 wrote:I've never seen a school that asks for this or indicates they would accept it. If it's important, maybe try rewriting your PS and working it in?

I agree with this and have tried but it doesn't really flow. Maybe I should go back to the drawing board, but I like the way mine describes what I offer.

ADDENDA
"You may submit separate, supplementary statements to highlight any particular topics that you wish to bring to our attention. Examples may include a history of poor standardized test-taking (a copy of previous test scores is required), how you might contribute to the diversity of the school, or other specific incidents which you wish to explain in detail."

This is Berkeley's guidelines, I guess I am asking if "why law" fits into this definition.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:05 pm

midwest17 wrote:I've never seen a school that asks for this or indicates they would accept it. If it's important, maybe try rewriting your PS and working it in?

UVA lets you include a "Why UVa" as an optional addendum, I am not sure about other schools besides those which specifically ask for it.

OP do you want to do a "Why Law" or "Why X school"?

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:06 pm

BenjarvusGreenEllis wrote:

I agree with this and have tried but it doesn't really flow. Maybe I should go back to the drawing board, but I like the way mine describes what I offer.

ADDENDA
"You may submit separate, supplementary statements to highlight any particular topics that you wish to bring to our attention. Examples may include a history of poor standardized test-taking (a copy of previous test scores is required), how you might contribute to the diversity of the school, or other specific incidents which you wish to explain in detail."

This is Berkeley's guidelines, I guess I am asking if "why law" fits into this definition.

If you have something really unique to say, then probably. But not if it's something standard.

Gooner91

Postby Gooner91 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:08 pm

You could also call or email and ask if it is appropriate. Maybe read the interview with the admissions people on this website and see if they provide any hints.
This is from the TLS profile:

"In addition to the four pages for the personal statement, Boalt also allows applicants to submit additional written materials. Dean Tom explains: “You can also send a resume, which I recommend doing. The resumes are generally one page, but that can be exceeded. More information can usually only help your application, so throw in the kitchen sink. There are no interviews, and I want to get to know the human behind the numbers. Also, you can send an addendum, one or two paragraphs on a separate page, dedicated to any particular talking points desired.”"
Last edited by Gooner91 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenjarvusGreenEllis

Postby BenjarvusGreenEllis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:10 pm

OP do you want to do a "Why Law" or "Why X school"?[/quote]

i want to do a "Why Berkeley" which would touch on "why law" as well. Assuming my PS is decent, does it matter if it doesn't answer "why law?"

BenjarvusGreenEllis

Postby BenjarvusGreenEllis » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:13 pm

Gooner91 wrote:You could also call or email and ask if it is appropriate. Maybe read the interview with the admissions people on this website and see if they provide any hints.
This is from the TLS profile:

"In addition to the four pages for the personal statement, Boalt also allows applicants to submit additional written materials. Dean Tom explains: “You can also send a resume, which I recommend doing. The resumes are generally one page, but that can be exceeded. More information can usually only help your application, so throw in the kitchen sink. There are no interviews, and I want to get to know the human behind the numbers. Also, you can send an addendum, one or two paragraphs on a separate page, dedicated to any particular talking points desired.”"

Thanks, this answers my question perfectly.

TigerDude

Postby TigerDude » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:40 pm

No, they know you want to be a lawyer already.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”