Professor taking forever with LoR - should I send in app? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Elivmar

New

Professor taking forever with LoR - should I send in app?

Post by Elivmar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:22 pm

I have two LoR's so far - one from a Professor and one from my boss. Both are probably fairly strong. I asked one Professor a little over a month ago, and he hasn't sent his in yet. I don't know him as well, so I figure it will be fairly average. I recently sent him an email as a reminder, but he hasn't responded yet. I get back to school on Wednesday so I'll probably go talk to him if he doesn't get back to me.

However, is waiting for him hurting me? How much will it impact my applications if I send it in with my current LoR's? Should I send in my apps with the two LoR's and then update them when he gets his in?

My stats are 3.53 / 178 so I believe I'm fairly competitive. I'm planning on blanketing the T14, I just don't want to mess up my chances at getting into CCN with some money.

Thanks!

Kimikho

Gold

Re: Professor taking forever with LoR - should I send in app?

Post by Kimikho » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:35 pm

I sent in my LORs individually. schools take a while to move from received--->complete--->under review (or whatever their path is). I would submit all of them now (except maybe Berkeley?), especially if it is a marginal letter. as more people start applying the process will run even slower, giving you plenty of time.

Gooner91

Silver

Post by Gooner91 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:40 pm

If he is unmotivated to write the letter and does not know you that well I do not think the letter will help your chances much. I would just submit if I was in your shoes.

Elivmar

New

Post by Elivmar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:58 pm

I've noticed some applications (ie Georgetown) have a "Hold Request" tab. Should I not bother with that and just send in the extra LoR when it comes in?

I believe this last LoR will do nothing to hinder or help my application. It wont help me overcome any substantial point deficit, but it also wont cause the adcoms to look upon me unfavorably. I'm just concerned about them seeing only one academic LoR until I send in the second.

Kimikho

Gold

Post by Kimikho » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Elivmar wrote:I've noticed some applications (ie Georgetown) have a "Hold Request" tab. Should I not bother with that and just send in the extra LoR when it comes in?

I believe this last LoR will do nothing to hinder or help my application. It wont help me overcome any substantial point deficit, but it also wont cause the adcoms to look upon me unfavorably. I'm just concerned about them seeing only one academic LoR until I send in the second.
Penn requires two academic LORs, and Columbia does if you are KJD. other than that, if you have a number above a median, I would just apply now. I would also start looking for a backup LOR writer if you can :/.

Elivmar

New

Post by Elivmar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:35 pm

Alright, sounds like I need to get in contact with him to find out if he's going to get it in or if I need to find someone else.

I'm above all LSAT 75th percentiles, and a few of the 25th percentiles for GPA so I'll go ahead and submit the other apps.

Thanks for the advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”