Did I screw myself over by retaking?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tmkm

Did I screw myself over by retaking?

Postby tmkm » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:18 pm

So I took the LSAT a total of three times: 12/10, 10/11, 12/13.

When I 1st took the exam, I wasn't sure I wanted to go to LS. I took it without adequate prep and scored a 162.

I retook the exam in 2011 and scored my highest score of 169. I was about to apply to schools last cycle, but I decided against it because right around that time, I got engaged and I started to seriously rethink the prospects of taking on debt for LS.

My fiancee and friends convinced me that it was worth the risk, and last August, I decided that I would rededicate myself towards studying to break 170 and get into the schools of my choice.

I was working full time, 40 hours a week, and trying to squeeze in LSAT prep and wedding planning (wedding this June). By the end of October, I was averaging 170-174 consistently, and felt confident about taking the test in December.

The week before the exam was horrible...I averaged only 4 hours of sleep a night because of stress from wedding planning and burn out from studying. I retook the exam last month and bombed it. I ended up getting a 164. Although I thought about canceling the exam after I left it, I thought about all of the stress and the time that I put into studying for the exam and I ultimately decided to just see how I did...it turned out to be a horrible mistake.

I'm now wondering what I should do...do I write an addendum to address the dip? I'm racking my mind around how to write the addendum (if I write it) in a way that does not sound disingenuous...

t-14orbust

Re: Did I screw myself over by retaking?

Postby t-14orbust » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:19 pm

It wasn't a horrible mistake. They're only going to care about your highest score. relax

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:25 pm

You'll do as well as a 169 with your GPA would do. I mean, Yale might care a little bit, but you weren't getting into Yale anyway so no biggie.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Yeah, all they'll really care about is the 169. You don't have any special circumstances to explain the drop, so don't try to.

tmkm

Postby tmkm » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Thank you very much for the quick feedback.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”