Question about updating transcripts

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PattyCake

Question about updating transcripts

Postby PattyCake » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:03 pm

Would love some input. My application is "on hold for further review" at one of my top choices. I assume they are waiting for updated grades. I had great fall semester grades, and I'm taking a January session class which began last week and runs for 3 more weeks. I can't decide if I should send my updated transcript now and another updated transcript after my January class ends (I will definitely get another A), or if I should hold off and just update it once at the end of the month. I have heard that admissions committees get annoyed when you continually add to your application, but does that apply to updated grades as well...? It will raise my GPA from 3.84 to 3.85 or so (I don't think it will round up to 3.86 but I might be wrong).

txdude45

Re: Question about updating transcripts

Postby txdude45 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:08 pm

PattyCake wrote:Would love some input. My application is "on hold for further review" at one of my top choices. I assume they are waiting for updated grades. I had great fall semester grades, and I'm taking a January session class which began last week and runs for 3 more weeks. I can't decide if I should send my updated transcript now and another updated transcript after my January class ends (I will definitely get another A), or if I should hold off and just update it once at the end of the month. I have heard that admissions committees get annoyed when you continually add to your application, but does that apply to updated grades as well...? It will raise my GPA from 3.84 to 3.85 or so (I don't think it will round up to 3.86 but I might be wrong).

Wait until the January session grade comes in and just send the transcript to the LSAC. It is highly improbably that the difference between a 3.84 and 3.85 is why you were held, so unless you have something more significant to share, I'd leave it at that for now.

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:05 pm

txdude45 wrote:
PattyCake wrote:Would love some input. My application is "on hold for further review" at one of my top choices. I assume they are waiting for updated grades. I had great fall semester grades, and I'm taking a January session class which began last week and runs for 3 more weeks. I can't decide if I should send my updated transcript now and another updated transcript after my January class ends (I will definitely get another A), or if I should hold off and just update it once at the end of the month. I have heard that admissions committees get annoyed when you continually add to your application, but does that apply to updated grades as well...? It will raise my GPA from 3.84 to 3.85 or so (I don't think it will round up to 3.86 but I might be wrong).

Wait until the January session grade comes in and just send the transcript to the LSAC. It is highly improbably that the difference between a 3.84 and 3.85 is why you were held, so unless you have something more significant to share, I'd leave it at that for now.

Sorry, that was unclear - my fault. It will go from 3.81 to either 3.84 or 3.85 depending on whether I submit updates now or in a few weeks. I mentioned my pending GPA increase in my PS (I knew I was getting A's).

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:12 pm

PattyCake wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

Sorry, that was unclear - my fault. It will go from 3.81 to either 3.84 or 3.85 depending on whether I submit updates now or in a few weeks. I mentioned my pending GPA increase in my PS (I knew I was getting A's).

Since that pushes you above some 75ths, that's probably worth updating the schools about outside of just having the LSAC send a new report. However, not knowing this specific school, if it doesn't change your placement relative to the 75th %, I still wouldn't bother beyond the LSAC.

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:26 pm

txdude45 wrote:
PattyCake wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

Since that pushes you above some 75ths, that's probably worth updating the schools about outside of just having the LSAC send a new report. However, not knowing this specific school, if it doesn't change your placement relative to the 75th %, I still wouldn't bother beyond the LSAC.

Oh I wasn't going to annoy them with emails or anything, I'm just going to update My LSAC report. But would you update LSAC now and again in 3 weeks, or just wait and update it once? My concern is that committees may get annoyed at receiving 2 updated LSAC reports within 3 weeks, but if there's a chance they'll make a decision in those 3 weeks I should probably update it ASAP. I guess I answered my own question, unless you can think of a specific reason not to have LSAC send 2 updates one after another.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:43 pm

I can't believe schools would be annoyed about you updating LSAC twice. I think it's an almost entirely automated process. They just don't like dealing with excessive applicant communications.

Unless your school charges for transcripts, I see no reason not to send the update now.

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:34 pm

PattyCake wrote:
txdude45 wrote:

You...mentioned a pending GPA increase in your PS?

PattyCake

Postby PattyCake » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:51 pm

That's what I wasn't sure of, thank you! If it's automated and won't be a nuisance then I'll go ahead and update now. Thanks for your help!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”