Re "College Activities" Question

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pshelp

Re "College Activities" Question

Postby pshelp » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:51 pm

I had two questions about the Yale app and was wondering if anyone here had some insights. Both address the College Activities question (which I see already has generated a few questions on TLS, haha).

The question reads:
Please answer a, b, and c separately from any included résumé. Your application will not be considered complete unless a, b, and c are answered. Please list:
(a) Significant extracurricular activities and unpaid externships or internships in college, in order of their relative importance to you. Please estimate your time commitment for each activity.
(b) Paid employment while in college and during vacations.
(c) Other activities during college (in or out of school) that you consider relevant."

(1) Do you think it would be unwise to just copy/paste relevant sections of my resume if I'm also including the resume in my application? It seems to me that the resume format is best for efficiently organizing the requested information, and I've read that pretty much any format is fine for the question. My concern is that I don't want to appear lazy by repeating sections word for word.

(2) What kinds of things should be listed for (c)? "Relevant" seems a little ambiguous...should we only include academic activities? Or would sports and other non-academic things be considered relevant? Relatedly, if we are discussing a non-academic activity, does it have to be in some formal capacity (part of a club/organization/recorded setting)?

Thanks! And good luck to all the other applicants!

txdude45

Re: Re "College Activities" Question

Postby txdude45 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:20 pm

pshelp wrote:I had two questions about the Yale app and was wondering if anyone here had some insights. Both address the College Activities question (which I see already has generated a few questions on TLS, haha).

The question reads:
Please answer a, b, and c separately from any included résumé. Your application will not be considered complete unless a, b, and c are answered. Please list:
(a) Significant extracurricular activities and unpaid externships or internships in college, in order of their relative importance to you. Please estimate your time commitment for each activity.
(b) Paid employment while in college and during vacations.
(c) Other activities during college (in or out of school) that you consider relevant."

(1) Do you think it would be unwise to just copy/paste relevant sections of my resume if I'm also including the resume in my application? It seems to me that the resume format is best for efficiently organizing the requested information, and I've read that pretty much any format is fine for the question. My concern is that I don't want to appear lazy by repeating sections word for word.

(2) What kinds of things should be listed for (c)? "Relevant" seems a little ambiguous...should we only include academic activities? Or would sports and other non-academic things be considered relevant? Relatedly, if we are discussing a non-academic activity, does it have to be in some formal capacity (part of a club/organization/recorded setting)?

Thanks! And good luck to all the other applicants!

You're fine cut and pasting assumig you do minor reformatting and make sure what you put down actually answers the question. They're pretty explicitly asking for the resume material over again.

As to your second question, whatever you feel would look good, put it down. Anything you believe is relevant is perfectly fine. However, I would only put things you did in an official capacity. If you were in a flower picking club back home, you could conceivably put it. If you picked flowers every break for fun, I'd leave that off.

pshelp

Re: Re "College Activities" Question

Postby pshelp » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”