Options

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kevinlomax

Options

Postby Kevinlomax » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:13 am

lsdas gpa 2.65
maj gpa 3.4
WE 2 years enlisted, 2 years as an Officer, Platoon leader, staff officer
undergrad: West Point, Military Academy
LSAT:159 (retaking in FEB)

Class secretary, Judo team, foreign service

Applying to FSU, UF, ASU, U of A, U Houston, SMU, LSU

I called admissions and they said I have two options: 1. Apply with my current score and ask for them to re-review my application if rejected 2. tell them to told my application for review until new LSAT scores come out

I am not sure which option would be more beneficial. I am hesitant to delay my applications till beginning of March, however I am also hesitant to apply with those numbers...

Kevinlomax

Re: Options

Postby Kevinlomax » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:20 am

also i forgot to mention I have 100% GI Bill, so getting scholarship money is not a concern, I am merely looking for admission.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:07 pm

I'd wait. Right now, you're below the median LSAT at almost all of those schools, and below the 25th percentile GPA at all of them. You may as well wait until you have some reason for the schools to want you before they evaluate your applications. You could let them decide now, and then ask them to re-evaluate after the February scores, but it might be hard to get the subconscious stink of rejection off of your applications if it comes to that.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:28 pm

interesting. thanks for the advice. the FSU median LSAT is 158, but seeing how low my GPA is , I doubt it will make much of a difference at this point.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:36 pm

Kevinlomax wrote:interesting. thanks for the advice. the FSU median LSAT is 158, but seeing how low my GPA is , I doubt it will make much of a difference at this point.

I understand. I had a good cycle with an uGPA (slightly) lower than yours, but I waited until I was above the schools' 75th percentile LSAT before applying.

You have an interesting mix of schools there, BTW. Are you really equally willing to go to school and work in Arizona, Texas, Louisiana or Florida?

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:52 pm

yea, working in any one of those states would be fine.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:56 pm

Definitely retake and apply next year. Those are what would be considered great softs, and a sub-3.0 from West Point isn't a death sentence like it would be coming from other colleges. You could have a great shot at the T14 with a better LSAT.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:57 pm

Kevinlomax wrote:yea, working in any one of those states would be fine.

Do you have ties to all of them? Just going to school there probably won't be enough to convince employers that you're committed to the region.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:39 pm

unfortunately, I really dont have "ties" anywhere.

My father is an Attorney in NJ, but I am never moving back there. Id rather take my chances in the states mentioned.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:40 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Definitely retake and apply next year. Those are what would be considered great softs, and a sub-3.0 from West Point isn't a death sentence like it would be coming from other colleges. You could have a great shot at the T14 with a better LSAT.

I hope so.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:08 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Definitely retake and apply next year. Those are what would be considered great softs, and a sub-3.0 from West Point isn't a death sentence like it would be coming from other colleges. You could have a great shot at the T14 with a better LSAT.

Well.. what's causing the discrepancy between your degree GPA and your LSAC GPA? If it's courses at another university, that would be a bad sign.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:10 pm

Kevinlomax wrote:unfortunately, I really dont have "ties" anywhere.

My father is an Attorney in NJ, but I am never moving back there. Id rather take my chances in the states mentioned.

Where did you grow up? Where have you lived for any significant period of time (i.e. not counting places you were only stationed at for a few months)? Where do you have family?

"Ties" don't need to be legal ties. They just need to be things that convince an employer that you're interested in starting a life/career in an area, and not jumping ship for a new opportunity across the country.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:17 pm

midwest17 wrote:

Well.. what's causing the discrepancy between your degree GPA and your LSAC GPA? If it's courses at another university, that would be a bad sign.

I believe the service academies require everyone to take engineering/physics/calculus courses, regardless of major. OP could have bombed some hard science classes and done well in everything else.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:22 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
midwest17 wrote:

I believe the service academies require everyone to take engineering/physics/calculus courses, regardless of major. OP could have bombed some hard science classes and done well in everything else.

this. F#$ing this

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:23 pm

and you also are forced to take courses such as Gymnastics, boxing, Physical Fitness, Military Tactics etc.

ALL of which have nothing to do with law school academics, but are counted in your GPA and LSDAS counts them I dont know why....

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:25 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Kevinlomax wrote:unfortunately, I really dont have "ties" anywhere.

Where did you grow up? Where have you lived for any significant period of time (i.e. not counting places you were only stationed at for a few months)? Where do you have family?

"Ties" don't need to be legal ties. They just need to be things that convince an employer that you're interested in starting a life/career in an area, and not jumping ship for a new opportunity across the country.

Grew up in New jersey and have lived in Texas for the past 2 years.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:40 am

Kevinlomax wrote:
ALL of which have nothing to do with law school academics, but are counted in your GPA and LSDAS counts them I dont know why....

LSAC doesn't want to take the trouble to figure out what classes are/aren't law school related (and open themselves up to 100,000 bitching students protesting that this or that individual class should count) so they just count everything.

Kevinlomax

Postby Kevinlomax » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:01 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Kevinlomax wrote:

LSAC doesn't want to take the trouble to figure out what classes are/aren't law school related (and open themselves up to 100,000 bitching students protesting that this or that individual class should count) so they just count everything.

Yea, figured it was something like this. Oh well, im gonna roll the dice and see how the cycle plays out. If it doesent work out ill retake in october.

Awesome avatar btw

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”