4 Page U Chicago Personal Statement

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

4 Page U Chicago Personal Statement

Postby BillsFan9907 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:26 am

I'm Seeing that Chicago gives you up to four pages. In that case, could I do a standard 2 page personal statement and a 2 page Why Chicago/Diversity Statement?

NapoleonXV

Re: 4 Page U Chicago Personal Statement

Postby NapoleonXV » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:20 am

I would advise against this.

1. If you want to submit a DS or a Why Chicago, it should not be in the same file as your PS. It should be submitted separately as an addendum.

2. Exercise discretion whether you absolutely need the DS or Why. Chicago is not particularly fond of either,

May I submit a diversity statement or “Why Chicago” essay?
You may, but please do so only when they are important to your application. Please remember that you want to be concise and genuine.

We believe that the personal statement is a wonderful place to discuss any aspects of your background (e.g., racial, ethnic, or religious identification, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, etc.) that are significant to you. If you find that you cannot include these topics in your personal statement, you may submit an additional diversity statement.

If there are genuine and informed reasons why you are particularly interested in studying law at Chicago, you are welcome to discuss them in an additional essay.

Source: http://www.law.uchicago.edu/node/1451

Does not really seem to be encouraging :(

BillsFan9907

Re: 4 Page U Chicago Personal Statement

Postby BillsFan9907 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:25 am

Thanks. Awesome. Makes my life a little easier. They seem to be very okay with 3 pages given what is said on the application and here. I could relate my general interest in law in a paragraph, probably without the need to go into Why UC.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”