I think I screwed myself by registering Feb retake

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dellas623
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:01 pm

I think I screwed myself by registering Feb retake

Postby Dellas623 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi, its my first time actually posting on the forum, but I am desperate for any advice for my current situation.

Although I dont aim at shooting for HYS, I naively registered feb. lsat today in hopes to seek some scholarship.

The problem is, form the threads I read, it seemed like I could just ask the school to do not wait for my retake and render decision,

but reading one thread on this forum from last week and other older threads, it seems like the schools generally will hold my app until my Feb. score no matter what.

Im already applying quiet late, and Im afraid that unless I for sure will make improvements on my feb retake, I will have little chance for schools in March.

So at this point, my conservative nature kicked in, and rather than shooting for scholarship, I would want to increase my chance for admission by being considered right away.

But the problem is, of course, I already signed up for the retake today.

Since its Sunday today, my registration will probably be reported and processed to the schools tomorrow.

I realize the only option I have is to fax signed withdrawal/refund request first thing in the morning tomorrow and call all schools to tell them I withdraw from the retake registration that they'll receive soon.

However, I am afraid that this might create confusion, and could delay my app (As I've read it takes about 3 weeks for LSAC to process refund and not sure how long it takes for the test to be notified to school as canceled. LSAC webpage: "our refund will take approximately three weeks to process, and your test registration will be canceled.")

So I am wondering if it would be better idea to change my Feb. lsat test date to June 2014 lsat right now, which can be done electronically, so the schools will receive alert that I registered for Feb, then changed to June 2014, which I believe is irrelevant to admission. Of course I will still call them tomorrow to notify it, but I believe it wont have any chance for delay as in withdrawing through LSAC.

I guess it will cost me the $83 change-date fee, but I am desperate to try if it would resolve the situation.

I will be grateful for any advice!
Last edited by Dellas623 on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

inlovewithpiper
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Re: I think I screwed myself by registering Feb retake

Postby inlovewithpiper » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:44 pm

Dellas623 wrote:Hi, its my first time actually posting on the forum, but I am desperate for any advice for my current situation.

My dream school is Chicago, and with the December score, I have above median GPA and median LSAT for the school, and thus a reasonable chance.

However, although I dont aim at shooting for HYS, I naively registered feb. lsat today in hopes to seek some scholarship from T6.

The problem is, form the threads I read, it seemed like I could just ask the school to do not wait for my retake and render decision,

but reading one thread on this forum from last week and other older threads, it seems like the schools generally will hold my app until my Feb. score no matter what.

Im already applying quiet late, and Im afraid that unless I for sure will make improvements on my feb retake, I will have little chance for Chicago in March.

So at this point, my conservative nature kicked in, and rather than shooting for scholarship, I would want to increase my chance for admission by being considered right away.

But the problem is, of course, I already signed up for the retake today.

Since its Sunday today, my registration will probably be reported and processed to the schools tomorrow.

I realize the only option I have is to fax signed withdrawal/refund request first thing in the morning tomorrow and call all schools to tell them I withdraw from the retake registration that they'll receive soon.

However, I am afraid that this might create confusion, and could delay my app (As I've read it takes about 3 weeks for LSAC to process refund and not sure how long it takes for the test to be notified to school as canceled. LSAC webpage: "our refund will take approximately three weeks to process, and your test registration will be canceled.")

So I am wondering if it would be better idea to change my Feb. lsat test date to June 2014 lsat right now, which can be done electronically, so the schools will receive alert that I registered for Feb, then changed to June 2014, which I believe is irrelevant to admission. Of course I will still call them tomorrow to notify it, but I believe it wont have any chance for delay as in withdrawing through LSAC.

I guess it will cost me the $83 change-date fee, but I am desperate to try if it would resolve the situation.

I will be grateful for any advice!


You're over-thinking this whole thing.

Why not just cancel your registration through LSAC and email Chicago's admissions office letting them know you registered by mistake and would appreciate if they would go ahead and make a decision on your app, ignoring the February sign-up?

I really can't imagine this whole thing should be as confusing as you've made it.

Edit: I actually think it might be more confusing for them to see that you've pushed your registration to June. That might make them wonder if you're planning on attending this Fall or trying to aim for HYS and applying to those schools for Fall '15. In the latter case, they might not risk you turning them down on an offer and just deny you.

Dellas623
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: I think I screwed myself by registering Feb retake

Postby Dellas623 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:50 pm

inlovewithpiper wrote:
You're over-thinking this whole thing.

Why not just cancel your registration through LSAC and email Chicago's admissions office letting them know you registered by mistake and would appreciate if they would go ahead and make a decision on your app?

I really can't imagine this whole thing should be as confusing as you've made it.


I was not too sure whether the schools needed "official update" from LSAC saying that my withdraw is complete to release my app from the hold even if I tell them that I am withdarwing.

If so, I was afraid that this could cause days of delay, whereas the change to June seemed like more immediate solution.

I indeed must have been over-thinking, as applying late with December score made me little anxious.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: I think I screwed myself by registering Feb retake

Postby Clearly » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:54 pm

Just take the lsat in Feb... you're acting like you know this is screwing you, but the schools don't even know you registered yet, you have no reason to freak out.

Dellas623
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: I think I screwed myself by registering Feb retake

Postby Dellas623 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Clearly wrote:Just take the lsat in Feb... you're acting like you know this is screwing you, but the schools don't even know you registered yet, you have no reason to freak out.


I have read that schools are notified by LSAC the moment I register. Am I wrong on this?

I would love to retake in Feb, but I just feel like holding all my apps from CCN and below and giving up possible admissions seem too much risk for me.

Thanks for the advice.

edit:

Edit: I actually think it might be more confusing for them to see that you've pushed your registration to June. That might make them wonder if you're planning on attending this Fall or trying to aim for HYS and applying to those schools for Fall '15. In the latter case, they might not risk you turning them down on an offer and just deny you.


That is true. I will make sure to immediately withdraw my June exam in case I do change. Thanks for the advice.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: I think I screwed myself by registering Feb retake

Postby Clearly » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Dellas623 wrote:
Clearly wrote:Just take the lsat in Feb... you're acting like you know this is screwing you, but the schools don't even know you registered yet, you have no reason to freak out.


I have read that schools are notified by LSAC the moment I register. Am I wrong on this?

I would love to retake in Feb, but I just feel like holding all my apps from CCN and below and giving up possible admissions seem too much risk for me.

Thanks for the advice.

edit:

Edit: I actually think it might be more confusing for them to see that you've pushed your registration to June. That might make them wonder if you're planning on attending this Fall or trying to aim for HYS and applying to those schools for Fall '15. In the latter case, they might not risk you turning them down on an offer and just deny you.


That is true. I will make sure to immediately withdraw my June exam in case I do change. Thanks for the advice.

There is no reason to believe you're giving up any of these things.

Dellas623
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: I think I screwed myself by registering Feb retake

Postby Dellas623 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:15 pm

Clearly wrote:There is no reason to believe you're giving up any of these things.


That would be a great news if it were true.

My hope was that I for sure know CLS and NYU do not accept Feb score, so I believe they won't bother holding my app (although will still email them)

But my concern was Chicago and Upenn (and possibly T14s with $).

I would still retake if Chicago and Penn would not hold my app until March 1 when the Feb scores drop in, as I believe I will need considerably higher score for them when all the seats are gone by that time.

I guess I will have to call them tomorrow, but was afraid if they say no on the phone, it would be awkward to immediately say "then I'll withdraw my feb. now."
Last edited by Dellas623 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: I think I screwed myself by registering Feb retake

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Take in Feb so you can get some money

No reason to go almost $300k in debt

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: I think I screwed myself by registering Feb retake

Postby Clearly » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:06 pm

Dellas623 wrote:
Clearly wrote:There is no reason to believe you're giving up any of these things.


That would be a great news if it were true.

My hope was that I for sure know CLS and NYU do not accept Feb score, so I believe they won't bother holding my app (although will still email them)

But my concern was Chicago and Upenn (and possibly T14s with $).

I would still retake if Chicago and Penn would not hold my app until March 1 when the Feb scores drop in, as I believe I will need considerably higher score for them when all the seats are gone by that time.

I guess I will have to call them tomorrow, but was afraid if they say no on the phone, it would be awkward to immediately say "then I'll withdraw my feb. now."

...You're still not posting anything to support your claim that having a pending registration is actually hurting your cycle.

Dellas623
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:01 pm

Re: I think I screwed myself by registering Feb retake

Postby Dellas623 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:14 pm

Clearly wrote:
Dellas623 wrote:
Clearly wrote:There is no reason to believe you're giving up any of these things.


That would be a great news if it were true.

My hope was that I for sure know CLS and NYU do not accept Feb score, so I believe they won't bother holding my app (although will still email them)

But my concern was Chicago and Upenn (and possibly T14s with $).

I would still retake if Chicago and Penn would not hold my app until March 1 when the Feb scores drop in, as I believe I will need considerably higher score for them when all the seats are gone by that time.

I guess I will have to call them tomorrow, but was afraid if they say no on the phone, it would be awkward to immediately say "then I'll withdraw my feb. now."

...You're still not posting anything to support your claim that having a pending registration is actually hurting your cycle.


Maybe I am wrong, but assuming I don't improve my score in retake, it will be harder for me to get accepted with same gpa/lsat when my application goes complete in march 1 than now.

Anyway, I have no intention of supporting that point; to the contrary, I wish I am wrong and it doesnt hurt my cycle so I can commit myself to retake with less pressure on my shoulder.

Either way, I will contact admissions tomorrow and see what their policies are for February retakers.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bloomsday, ssolli and 4 guests