Retaking the LSAT...with a 172?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Chidasuuu

Retaking the LSAT...with a 172?

Postby Chidasuuu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:24 am

About a month ago, I posted about taking a hit to my cumulative GPA. Well the final grades are all in, and I'm sitting at about a 3.66... Not ideal at all. With this hit to my GPA, I have been starting to really consider taking another LSAT just to increase my chances at higher ranked T14 schools.

It's obvious that chances of my score increasing are slim. I might even get a worse score. So, TLS I need your advice on how I should handle this predicament.

On a completely unrelated note, my girlfriend was WLed and then rejected from Harvard with a 3.9 and a 175. Knowing her stats, I realized my Harvard dream is pretty much over.

Nooblarzlarz

Re: Retaking the LSAT...with a 172?

Postby Nooblarzlarz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:41 am

What were you PTing at? Were you consistently scoring in the 178-180 range?

Chidasuuu

Postby Chidasuuu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:45 am

I PT'd at around 177. Never gotten a 180 on my PT haha....

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:52 am

Chidasuuu wrote:About a month ago, I posted about taking a hit to my cumulative GPA. Well the final grades are all in, and I'm sitting at about a 3.66... Not ideal at all. With this hit to my GPA, I have been starting to really consider taking another LSAT just to increase my chances at higher ranked T14 schools.

It's obvious that chances of my score increasing are slim. I might even get a worse score. So, TLS I need your advice on how I should handle this predicament.

On a completely unrelated note, my girlfriend was WLed and then rejected from Harvard with a 3.9 and a 175. Knowing her stats, I realized my Harvard dream is pretty much over.

I was in the same boat as you, similar gpa. Retook (studied ~2 hours between takes). Got a 173. Glad I did. 173 is the harvard median, so if you are interested in going there, retake. if not youll probably be good at ccn down...but if u want moree money u could retake. And when did ur gf apply? If a while ago, this cycle should be easier. If this cycle - work a year or two, you'll have a better app. Seems like a lack of softs there. 90% of ppl with those numbers get in. No one besides S and Y will penalize u for a lower score, and ur gpa locks u out of those schools anyway. Good luck!

Chidasuuu

Postby Chidasuuu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:07 am

nothingtosee wrote:
Chidasuuu wrote:About a month ago, I posted about taking a hit to my cumulative GPA. Well the final grades are all in, and I'm sitting at about a 3.66... Not ideal at all. With this hit to my GPA, I have been starting to really consider taking another LSAT just to increase my chances at higher ranked T14 schools.

I was in the same boat as you, similar gpa. Retook (studied ~2 hours between takes). Got a 173. Glad I did. 173 is the harvard median, so if you are interested in going there, retake. if not youll probably be good at ccn down...but if u want moree money u could retake. And when did ur gf apply? If a while ago, this cycle should be easier. If this cycle - work a year or two, you'll have a better app. Seems like a lack of softs there. 90% of ppl with those numbers get in. No one besides S and Y will penalize u for a lower score, and ur gpa locks u out of those schools anyway. Good luck!

If you dont mind me asking, did you get accepted to Harvard? Judging by your profile picture you probably got a boost for being a URM, so I don't know if my similar GPA would cut it at all even if I did bring my LSAT to a 173.

My gf applied last year, and I doubt it is due to lack of softs, she had a pretty impressive resume.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:24 am

nothingtosee wrote:

Is there any definitive word on how Stanford handles multiple LSATs?

Chidasuuu

Postby Chidasuuu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:30 am

Seoulless wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:

Is there any definitive word on how Stanford handles multiple LSATs?

I believe there isn't a specific statement on how Stanford handles multiple LSATs. However I assume they are in line with H and Y's which is taking all LSATs into consideration.

chingwoo

Postby chingwoo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Chidasuuu wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:

If you dont mind me asking, did you get accepted to Harvard? Judging by your profile picture you probably got a boost for being a URM, so I don't know if my similar GPA would cut it at all even if I did bring my LSAT to a 173.

My gf applied last year, and I doubt it is due to lack of softs, she had a pretty impressive resume.

His/her profile picture is the LSAC girl that I get to romance everyday logging onto my account haha.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:43 pm

Chidasuuu wrote:

So...you're pretty sure it was her numbers that kept her out?

Chidasuuu

Postby Chidasuuu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:44 pm

HAHA! Cant believe I didn't see that....

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:09 pm

Harvard isnt desperate enough for medians to admit 173/3.6s. You'd have to be at 176+ level from a competitive UG to squeeze in with those grades.

I dont see much point in retaking necessarily (unless you will only be satisfied with a shot at H), since 172 is already at or above every school's 75th% except HYSC. Its not gonna make much more $$ flow from lower T14s. Sounds like you hit your PT range too. Of course retaking for a better score can only help you, but its diminishing returns from here on up.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:24 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
Chidasuuu wrote:

Yea, there's gotta be something else up with that. Still, I can +1 bagel's post that H probably won't even interview you with 3.65/173 even from a highly-ranked UG.

OP, are you applying this cycle? If next I might consider retaking, but there's so much test-day luck that goes into hitting above 172+ that it's probably not worth it. Was consistently hitting 178-180 in PTs and the cards just didn't fall right for me. Even if you can make a major improvement in your PTs it's no sure thing, and with your gpa you'll need to hit 176+ to make any real difference from 172.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:58 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
Chidasuuu wrote:

Yea, there's gotta be something else up with that. Still, I can +1 bagel's post that H probably won't even interview you with 3.65/173 even from a highly-ranked UG.

OP, are you applying this cycle? If next I might consider retaking, but there's so much test-day luck that goes into hitting above 172+ that it's probably not worth it. Was consistently hitting 178-180 in PTs and the cards just didn't fall right for me. Even if you can make a major improvement in your PTs it's no sure thing, and with your gpa you'll need to hit 176+ to make any real difference from 172.

Srsly fuck RC. Also 178-180 then test day was like I heard you like RC on sections 1 and 2; now enjoy your -5.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Chidasuuu wrote:On a completely unrelated note, my girlfriend was WLed and then rejected from Harvard with a 3.9 and a 175. Knowing her stats, I realized my Harvard dream is pretty much over.

:?

Chidasuuu

Postby Chidasuuu » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:03 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
Chidasuuu wrote:

I'm applying next cycle. I think I might go into an intense 2 month study sessh and see how it goes.

how much of a difference would it make if I had a 3.7 and a 172 compared to a 3.65 and a 172?

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:17 pm

Retake if you believe you're capable of scoring higher. Your GPA is high enough that you stand a solid chance.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:35 am

Definitely retake if you think you can do better. No downside. I scored higher on the real thing than I had on any PT, so I know that just having a great day is always possible. And I think scoring above 175 with your GPA could make Harvard realistic this cycle or next.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:34 am

I retook a 171 with HYS in mind. In at HS so far this cycle, so it worked out well for me. With a 175+, I think you have a decent chance. TLS applicant spreadsheet from this cycle seems to indicate Harvard is more willing to consider splitters than before.

Chidasuuu

Postby Chidasuuu » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:46 am

heythatslife wrote:I retook a 171 with HYS in mind. In at HS so far this cycle, so it worked out well for me. With a 175+, I think you have a decent chance. TLS applicant spreadsheet from this cycle seems to indicate Harvard is more willing to consider splitters than before.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA and what was your LSAT after retake?

Postby 20141023 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:10 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:15 am

Chidasuuu wrote:
heythatslife wrote:I retook a 171 with HYS in mind. In at HS so far this cycle, so it worked out well for me. With a 175+, I think you have a decent chance. TLS applicant spreadsheet from this cycle seems to indicate Harvard is more willing to consider splitters than before.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA and what was your LSAT after retake?

Retake got me to 173. I had been PT'ing at 176+ before the second sitting so I actually considered a third retake but decided not to, since my GPA was 4.0 and the new score brought me out of the reverse splitter zone at Harvard.

Of course, there is a chance I might have gotten in at HS with my first score but I'd rather not have taken that gamble. Also, raising your LSAT by just 2 points can bring to the table some scholarship money that would not have been there otherwise from other schools, even if you don't get HYS.

lawschool22

Postby lawschool22 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:19 am

beepboopbeep wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
Chidasuuu wrote:

Obviously I am only one instance, but I was interviewed by HLS this cycle with a 173 and 3.6 and did not go to a prestigious or highly-ranked undergrad. I don't yet have a decision (my interview was in mid-December) but I just wanted to add my two cents. I highly doubt I would have been given a second look at HLS if my LSAT was not at their median.

If OP truly was PTing with a 177 AVERAGE (OP, was this an average, or just your highest score?), truly wants/needs HLS for career goals, and has the flexibility to take in June and apply next cycle, then I would go for it and re-take.

On the other hand, if you just want NYC/Chicago/secondary market biglaw, then re-taking is very limited utility, as you are already above the median at all other schools outside of HYS, and a couple points probably won't affect $$$ that much at those schools. In that case I wouldn't retake and just let the chips fall where they may this cycle.

jjking

Postby jjking » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:55 am

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”