To boost or not to boost?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Captainunaccountable
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 pm

To boost or not to boost?

Postby Captainunaccountable » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:42 pm

Currently a Junior in undegrad and have a question about my GPA. After this spring I'll have 96 credit hours and will presumably be prepared to apply to LS with a 3.914 GPA. If I took another class, or two, in between spring and fall, I could get it up to about a 3.918 or a 3.920. I'm looking at HYVG. During this summer period, though, I will be studying for the LSAT with a possible part time job/ internship. Would this slight raise in GPA be worth it, considering these other factors?
Another note: I don't have a lot of advanced classes on my transcript.

notalobbyist
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby notalobbyist » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:04 pm

No.

User avatar
bombaysippin
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby bombaysippin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:08 pm

lol at going three digits on gpa. 3.914 will equal 3.918 aka 3.91 lsdas gpa.

I think you don't need to.

Captainunaccountable
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby Captainunaccountable » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:55 am

Thanks for the responses. I have an additional question to this: Would graduating the summer after my senior year have any effects/problems for attending the fall? I presume no, but I want to make sure.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4166
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby Clearly » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:08 am

Bajam wrote:lol at going three digits on gpa. 3.914 will equal 3.918 aka 3.91 lsdas gpa.

I think you don't need to.

I think they round the last digit...

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:08 am

Captainunaccountable wrote:Thanks for the responses. I have an additional question to this: Would graduating the summer after my senior year have any effects/problems for attending the fall? I presume no, but I want to make sure.


no it would not have any effects, and no it is not worth trying to boost your GPA; it is already fantastic as is.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby Nova » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:40 am

your better off investing more time on the lsat than raising your gpa .002

Captainunaccountable wrote: I don't have a lot of advanced classes on my transcript.

irrelevant

Captainunaccountable wrote: Would graduating the summer after my senior year have any effects/problems for attending the fall?

not at all

Captainunaccountable
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby Captainunaccountable » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:59 am

Clearly wrote:
Bajam wrote:lol at going three digits on gpa. 3.914 will equal 3.918 aka 3.91 lsdas gpa.

I think you don't need to.

I think they round the last digit...


Edit: found answer
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/inde ... ic=68604.0

TigerDude
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:42 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby TigerDude » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:38 am

lol at rounding up for .007 or higher.

Buncha math majors over there at LSAC, apparently.

User avatar
Cicero76
Posts: 1276
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby Cicero76 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:51 am

Was hoping this was a thread asking about using kleptomania as a soft

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:07 pm

What the hell kind of grouping is HYVG?

If you're gunning for Y, the lack of advanced classes might be a bit of a red flag. But presumably you can fix that without summer classes.

Captainunaccountable
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby Captainunaccountable » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:08 pm

midwest17 wrote:What the hell kind of grouping is HYVG?

If you're gunning for Y, the lack of advanced classes might be a bit of a red flag. But presumably you can fix that without summer classes.


I hate Chicago, New York, and California and I'm just not going to Michigan or Pennsylvania, sorry. I'm taking some advanced classes this semester, but other than this semester a majority of my classes are introductory/sophmore level classes (with some exceptions).
Thanks though.

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby NYstate » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:31 pm

Captainunaccountable wrote:
midwest17 wrote:What the hell kind of grouping is HYVG?

If you're gunning for Y, the lack of advanced classes might be a bit of a red flag. But presumably you can fix that without summer classes.


I hate Chicago, New York, and California and I'm just not going to Michigan or Pennsylvania, sorry. I'm taking some advanced classes this semester, but other than this semester a majority of my classes are introductory/sophmore level classes (with some exceptions).
Thanks though.


Where are you planning to work? You jus drastically cut your employment options if you won't live in any of these places. I'm guessing DC which is an insanely difficult market.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:20 pm

Captainunaccountable wrote:
midwest17 wrote:What the hell kind of grouping is HYVG?

If you're gunning for Y, the lack of advanced classes might be a bit of a red flag. But presumably you can fix that without summer classes.


I hate Chicago, New York, and California and I'm just not going to Michigan or Pennsylvania, sorry. I'm taking some advanced classes this semester, but other than this semester a majority of my classes are introductory/sophmore level classes (with some exceptions).
Thanks though.


You hate them enough that you'll attend a school with significantly worse job placement just so you don't have to live there for three years? That seems like a poor decision. I'm also a bit confused about how you're informed enough to hate Berkeley AND Palo Alto AND Hyde Park AND the Loop AND NYC AND Ithaca AND Ann Arbor AND Philly, but ok.

NYstate also makes a good point about employment. Make sure you go somewhere where you get good aid, since you're probably not going to get a high-paying job given your geographical restrictions. (Unless you're gunning to do small-town PI work with LRAP/PSLF).

Anyways, if you're applying as K-JD and have a few upper level classes your junior year I suspect you'll be fine at Y (at least on that point). Especially if you have more upper level classes when you update with your senior fall grades.

And to reiterate the answer to your main question, 3.91 to 3.92 will make 0 difference.

Captainunaccountable
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby Captainunaccountable » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:00 pm

midwest17 wrote:
Captainunaccountable wrote:
midwest17 wrote:What the hell kind of grouping is HYVG?

If you're gunning for Y, the lack of advanced classes might be a bit of a red flag. But presumably you can fix that without summer classes.


I hate Chicago, New York, and California and I'm just not going to Michigan or Pennsylvania, sorry. I'm taking some advanced classes this semester, but other than this semester a majority of my classes are introductory/sophmore level classes (with some exceptions).
Thanks though.


You hate them enough that you'll attend a school with significantly worse job placement just so you don't have to live there for three years? That seems like a poor decision. I'm also a bit confused about how you're informed enough to hate Berkeley AND Palo Alto AND Hyde Park AND the Loop AND NYC AND Ithaca AND Ann Arbor AND Philly, but ok.

NYstate also makes a good point about employment. Make sure you go somewhere where you get good aid, since you're probably not going to get a high-paying job given your geographical restrictions. (Unless you're gunning to do small-town PI work with LRAP/PSLF).

Anyways, if you're applying as K-JD and have a few upper level classes your junior year I suspect you'll be fine at Y (at least on that point). Especially if you have more upper level classes when you update with your senior fall grades.

And to reiterate the answer to your main question, 3.91 to 3.92 will make 0 difference.


You're absolutely right about me not knowing those cities at all. It is probably a personal bias that causes me to say this. I understand what you are saying and it makes a lot of sense that I should apply and open my mind to other places due to increased job prospects, so I am certainly going to consider this as I realize I'm being unfair to myself. I do wish, in fact, to work in DC and do international arbitration (career goal + location goal). I must note, though, that another reason I'm interested in those schools, that I probably didn't think of at the time of writing the previous post, is that HYVG are all, as I'll put it, 'C&F friendly'. My issue isn't necessarily huge, but nonetheless it makes sense to shoot for HY in particular for the combined reasons that that they are the best and are friendly towards applicants like me.

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby malleus discentium » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Captainunaccountable wrote:
midwest17 wrote:
Captainunaccountable wrote:
midwest17 wrote:What the hell kind of grouping is HYVG?

If you're gunning for Y, the lack of advanced classes might be a bit of a red flag. But presumably you can fix that without summer classes.


I hate Chicago, New York, and California and I'm just not going to Michigan or Pennsylvania, sorry. I'm taking some advanced classes this semester, but other than this semester a majority of my classes are introductory/sophmore level classes (with some exceptions).
Thanks though.


You hate them enough that you'll attend a school with significantly worse job placement just so you don't have to live there for three years? That seems like a poor decision. I'm also a bit confused about how you're informed enough to hate Berkeley AND Palo Alto AND Hyde Park AND the Loop AND NYC AND Ithaca AND Ann Arbor AND Philly, but ok.

NYstate also makes a good point about employment. Make sure you go somewhere where you get good aid, since you're probably not going to get a high-paying job given your geographical restrictions. (Unless you're gunning to do small-town PI work with LRAP/PSLF).

Anyways, if you're applying as K-JD and have a few upper level classes your junior year I suspect you'll be fine at Y (at least on that point). Especially if you have more upper level classes when you update with your senior fall grades.

And to reiterate the answer to your main question, 3.91 to 3.92 will make 0 difference.


You're absolutely right about me not knowing those cities at all. It is probably a personal bias that causes me to say this. I understand what you are saying and it makes a lot of sense that I should apply and open my mind to other places due to increased job prospects, so I am certainly going to consider this as I realize I'm being unfair to myself. I do wish, in fact, to work in DC and do international arbitration (career goal + location goal). I must note, though, that another reason I'm interested in those schools, that I probably didn't think of at the time of writing the previous post, is that HYVG are all, as I'll put it, 'C&F friendly'. My issue isn't necessarily huge, but nonetheless it makes sense to shoot for HY in particular for the combined reasons that that they are the best and are friendly towards applicants like me.

You should rethink your plans a bit. "International arbitration" is not a real career goal, and applying to schools because their CF guidelines are more or less friendly makes no sense. If your CF issue is big enough to cause problems at one school it's probably going to cause problems at most places.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Captainunaccountable wrote:You're absolutely right about me not knowing those cities at all. It is probably a personal bias that causes me to say this. I understand what you are saying and it makes a lot of sense that I should apply and open my mind to other places due to increased job prospects, so I am certainly going to consider this as I realize I'm being unfair to myself. I do wish, in fact, to work in DC and do international arbitration (career goal + location goal). I must note, though, that another reason I'm interested in those schools, that I probably didn't think of at the time of writing the previous post, is that HYVG are all, as I'll put it, 'C&F friendly'. My issue isn't necessarily huge, but nonetheless it makes sense to shoot for HY in particular for the combined reasons that that they are the best and are friendly towards applicants like me.


Are HYVG particularly C&F friendly? I wasn't aware of that reputation. Regardless, non-major C&F issues rarely keep anyone out of law schools, if the addendum is written properly. And if you end up with the numbers for HY, then you'll probably be able to get into CCN, even if they're less forgiving of the C&F issues.

Shooting for HY definitely makes the most sense, but it would be silly to turn down Stanford just for location reasons when it'll give you so much better changes at the career you want than Virginia or GTown. Similarly for CCN, and and probably Michigan and Penn. Even though they're not in DC, they'll probably give you a better shot at the career you want than Georgetown will (although they'll require a bit more hustle to build DC connections). I don't know anything about international arbitration, but I'm guessing that the jobs are as rare and as tough to get as other "international law" positions. Given that, you really want to go to the best school you can (while taking cost into account) even if it means living in a place you don't really want to live for three years (minus summers).

TLDR: There are places other than the east coast that are worth living in and going to school.

Captainunaccountable
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby Captainunaccountable » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:04 pm

I guess I wasn't quite clear with what I meant by 'C&F Friendly.' What I meant was, 3 out of 4 of these schools don't require me to report the issue because of the wording of the questions on the C&F portion of the app. I'm 100% sure of this. With that said, it isn't that major of a deal, but it's relatively significant (if that even makes sense, I know I'm purposefully being vague). But, I will heed advice to apply all over because there can't be any harm in it. As to international arbitration, I absolutely do believe it is a 'career goal'. I have a lot of language skills too, which is part of the motivation for the international aspect of it. Even if it is not, my heart isn't set on it. Really though thanks for all the advice I think you all have helped me look at my application cycle differently.

International arb. firms:

http://www.legal500.com/firms/50912/off ... yers/98292

Kimikho
Posts: 3971
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby Kimikho » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:08 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
Captainunaccountable wrote:Thanks for the responses. I have an additional question to this: Would graduating the summer after my senior year have any effects/problems for attending the fall? I presume no, but I want to make sure.


no it would not have any effects, and no it is not worth trying to boost your GPA; it is already fantastic as is.


discussion has moved on, but FWIW some schools (berk?) ask you if you are going to be taking classes after August. at least at my school summer classes go into that period. I specifically asked about it at my graduation appointment and was told i would only be able to take half-term classes that summer and that my grades wouldn't be updated until august anyways, so it wouldn't matter regardless unless you plan on taking a year off.

User avatar
midwest17
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:27 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby midwest17 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:13 pm

I think the point is that there aren't many people in the country working on international arbitration, and almost certainly not many young associates. It's a reasonable thing to aim for as a long-term goal, but don't go "international arbitration or bust." You need to set yourself up to succeed in BigLaw more generally.

Also, are most international arbitration firms in DC? I wouldn't be surprised if many of them are in NY.

notalobbyist
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby notalobbyist » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:38 am

Captainunaccountable wrote:I guess I wasn't quite clear with what I meant by 'C&F Friendly.' What I meant was, 3 out of 4 of these schools don't require me to report the issue because of the wording of the questions on the C&F portion of the app. I'm 100% sure of this. With that said, it isn't that major of a deal, but it's relatively significant (if that even makes sense, I know I'm purposefully being vague). But, I will heed advice to apply all over because there can't be any harm in it. As to international arbitration, I absolutely do believe it is a 'career goal'. I have a lot of language skills too, which is part of the motivation for the international aspect of it. Even if it is not, my heart isn't set on it. Really though thanks for all the advice I think you all have helped me look at my application cycle differently.

International arb. firms:

http://www.legal500.com/firms/50912/off ... yers/98292


Just an fyi, that dude was vice minister of foreign affairs for Bulgaria, so the barriers to entry might be pretty high if this is your test case. Good luck with your cycle.

Captainunaccountable
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Re: To boost or not to boost?

Postby Captainunaccountable » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Oops, that was the wrong link. Here is the link I meant to provide: http://www.legal500.com/c/united-states ... rbitration
That guy is a rad dude though.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests