Stanford Softs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BillsFan9907

Stanford Softs

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:05 am

I am of the understanding that Stanford is relatively soft intensive. Is this true, and if so, which softs are desired?

Cicero76

Re: Stanford Softs

Postby Cicero76 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:06 am

If you have to ask, you don't have them. The point about schools like Stanford and Yale is that they can look for softs that are unique and tell a story about a person, not softs that you can ask for on a message board and then check off one by one.

Or you could overcome cancer while getting a biology PhD, then cure cancer, then become an astronaut. That'd probably work.

For a list of example unique softs, try this: http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm

TLDR: Retake.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:14 am

Yeah, the thing about good softs is they develop over years and form a compelling and coherent picture of who you are. It's not like, "Shit, I need a soft, I guess I'll run out and join a club or something."

Veni_Vidi_Vici

Postby Veni_Vidi_Vici » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:21 am

Lol @ these people saying you need to cure cancer or be a Rhodes Scholar for Stanford and Yale.

What ridiculousness and negativity on this forum. Who do you people think you are? The majority of people get into Y and S on their numbers alone with a few softs.

By the way, in order to get into Y or S, you must be a member of the Justice League. I am The Flash.

melodically

Postby melodically » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:16 am

Cicero76 wrote:If you have to ask, you don't have them. The point about schools like Stanford and Yale is that they can look for softs that are unique and tell a story about a person, not softs that you can ask for on a message board and then check off one by one.

Or you could overcome cancer while getting a biology PhD, then cure cancer, then become an astronaut. That'd probably work.

For a list of example unique softs, try this: http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/profile.htm

I know you're trying to make a point, but when you overstate your position so wildly, it's not particularly helpful. OP asked a fairly straightforward question, and merely asking it doesn't mean one is desperately seeking validation or anything. We know essentially nothing about OP based on his/her question.

That said, I think the list you provided is a great example of unique softs and would recommend it to OP as well.

BillsFan9907

Postby BillsFan9907 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:27 am

melodically wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:If you have to ask, you don't have them. The point about schools like Stanford and Yale is that they can look for softs that are unique and tell a story about a person, not softs that you can ask for on a message board and then check off one by one.

I know you're trying to make a point, but when you overstate your position so wildly, it's not particularly helpful. OP asked a fairly straightforward question, and merely asking it doesn't mean one is desperately seeking validation or anything. We know essentially nothing about OP based on his/her question.

That said, I think the list you provided is a great example of unique softs and would recommend it to OP as well.

Thanks. As you said, there is no way I am seeking softs. I'm 27, way too late to desperately seek new softs. I wanted a general opinion regarding Stanford. I've heard, for example, they like candidates who have worked and have advanced degrees. With a median LSAT of 170, this makes sense, though I'd like some confirmation. I'd think obviously Rhode Scholars and those with Nuclear Physics PhDs would easily get above 175+.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:59 pm

melodically wrote:

I think you're misinterpreting my post. The point of my post was that if you want to go to Stanford or Yale, you should get a 175 and a 4.0. If you have terrible numbers, then the soft you need to "get you in" is going to be something absurd. If you have average numbers (say a 172/3.85), then the softs you'll need are the type of narrative, life story softs reflected in the link I posted.

I could have been more clear, I'm sorry.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”