Any chance at Stanford w/ 157?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
creativeminds

Any chance at Stanford w/ 157?

Postby creativeminds » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:14 am

Edited, in order to save everyone's energy.

Some comments are really beside the point.
Last edited by creativeminds on Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

NapoleonXV

Re: Any chance at Stanford w/ 157?

Postby NapoleonXV » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:21 am

I would be genuinely genuinely surprised if you are admitted.

I am int'l student, and LSAT competition is definitely not any less fiercer among int'l students. Moreover, I do not think that Stanford takes any Above Average students.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:40 am

creativeminds wrote:3. Major: Humanities

This made me laugh out loud.

creativeminds

Postby creativeminds » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:17 am

louierodriguez wrote:

Rude.

If you are referring to the apparent inconsistency between my major and career goal, it's not inconsistent. I have been developing new business/commercialized with very innovative electronical products/internet services that engineers w/ Ph.D degree have invented at technology companies. To become a capable business person, you do not need to know the nuts and bolts of the machine or code. The best example is someone like Steve Jobs.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:25 am

Obvious troll is obvious.

Arcticlynx

Postby Arcticlynx » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:36 am

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Obvious troll is obvious.

Except time zone does match for an international applicant. If you're a troll GTFO. But on the off chance that you're an international applicant thinking about law school in the states.

1. Why not go to law school in your country? Make sure a US JD is actually going to work for you, b/c it's not necessarily transferable, and if you don't have green card you could potentially spend 3 yrs of your life + $$$$$$$, for nothing.

2. http://mylsn.info/w1gmjc -> if I were you I would work on a plan B.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:35 am

Ok, in the off chance that this is a legit topic:

We could have an entire board called 'Shit Adcoms Say.' What they mean by "160 being good enough" is that if you have an incredible background, they will make a handful of exceptions. Stanford gets applications from dozens of people who have legitimately incredible backgrounds. Contrary to popular belief, six months backpacking through Europe on your parent's dime does not equal an incredible background.

Unless you are URM, being an international student doesn't help you at all. Unless that work experience is the high-prestige kind (not just being a tiny cog in some giant corporation), a 157 won't get you into UC - Davis, much less Stanford.
Last edited by RhymesLikeDimes on Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:03 am

Dude YLS totally let in a 152 this year.

(Stanford won't)

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:43 am

creativeminds wrote:
louierodriguez wrote:

Rude.

If you are referring to the apparent inconsistency between my major and career goal, it's not inconsistent. I have been developing new business/commercialized with very innovative electronical products/internet services that engineers w/ Ph.D degree have invented at technology companies. To become a capable business person, you do not need to know the nuts and bolts of the machine or code. The best example is someone like Steve Jobs.

I majored in Creative Writing. Creative Writing = Humanities

Don't jump to conclusions and make unwarranted assumptions.

That will kill you on the LSAT

creativeminds

Postby creativeminds » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:51 am

Cicero76 wrote:Dude YLS totally let in a 152 this year.

(Stanford won't)

Thanks for the info.

I am not sure where this troll thing is coming from, but I am serious. I know 157 will be a very very slim shot so I am asking here for opinions.

It's surprising to me that Yale accepted 152 last year. Among the profile of the members of the class, I can't find so-called "stellar resume" like an onocologist who has cured AIDS or an astronaut, but many people definitely seem to have very interesting backgrounds. I can assume they'd have their own life story.

I am hoping that at least one prestigious school will value my experiences, like leading a project in Africa w/ African officials (director or above-level).

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:59 am

I *really* want to give you a hard time for using "electronical", but I know that English is your second language, and your command of the language is actually very good, so I won't.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:08 am

thewaves

Postby thewaves » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:10 am

You at least need a stellar academic record, which you don't have. Why do you need a law degree if you have 10 years of work experience? Why a law school in America?

creativeminds

Postby creativeminds » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:42 am

thewaves wrote:You at least need a stellar academic record, which you don't have. Why do you need a law degree if you have 10 years of work experience? Why a law school in America?

You got a point. GPA is relatively low but I graduated top 10% in class rank. During my time, GPA was not inflated as much as it seems now. I received a letter of recommendation from a professor who backs up my story.

My friends/acquiantances got a mater's degree in America, started a company in America, sold it and walked away w/ thousand of million dollars (the amount is before the split w/ the VC). It is almost impossible in my country with such a small market size. It can happen in America with a big market and GDP $50,000 economy.

Your questions are actually helping me to figure out what Adcomms would ask about my application. So thanks.

I applied to one T14 w/ a worse LSAT last year and got waitlisted, not immediately dinged. If it fails this year, I will move on. If it succeeds, I will attend the school. Thanks for the post, guys.

alexrodriguez

Postby alexrodriguez » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:03 am

Best advice you'll here on this forum

shut-up and retake

Postby 20141023 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:19 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arcticlynx

Postby Arcticlynx » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:13 am

Ok, dead serious here.

1. If you really do want to start a company, why a law degree??? You don’t need a law degree to start a company, and it would be a stretch to argue that a JD is even relevant to starting a company. Have you looked a Business School? The reason to go to law school is to work in or with the legal system of the United States, not to start-up a company in silicon valley. Most companies (high tech or otherwise) are not started by lawyers. If you goal is entrepreneurship, why law? If you have a humanities degree than your not even going to be able to work in Intellectual Property prosecution, because the patent bar requires a hard science/engineering background.

2. Why come the US? If the economy in your country is inhibiting you goals, why not go to school in Canada or the UK rather than the US? Canada has a better economy than we do at the moment, and they are much more likely to give you residency/citizenship. If you are from Europe, why not go to law school in the UK? You won’t even need a visa.

I’m glad your friend had a successful business in the US, but that doesn’t mean that you will. Make sure that you analyze everything from an objective perspective and don’t let the idea of law school, or of the United States get ahead of the reality of law school in the states. I would say you need much better reasons than anything that you have provided so far, in order to move to a different country and get a marginally valuable degree that is non-transferable and does not come with any kind of residency. I hate to be devil’s advocate here, but if you cannot answer with 100% confidence exactly why you want to go to law school (in the US), and exactly how you are going to get a visa, than the difference between a 157 and a 175 is irrelevant. Why would going to law school here be a good decision? How is it going to allow you to pursue you ambitions? And will it actually work?

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:27 am

With that LSAT and that GPA, no, you will not get in to Stanford.

Also, if your English is holding you back on the LSAT, you're likely to struggle in an American law school.

jlk411

Postby jlk411 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:10 pm

(Stanford won't)

seriously?!!! do we know any more info?

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:55 pm

jlk411 wrote:

(Stanford won't)

seriously?!!! do we know any more info?

....aside from the class profile that says they did? No...

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:56 pm

Retake

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”