Early Decision Applications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cfox17

Early Decision Applications

Postby cfox17 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:39 am

I was wondering about a possible scenario, this has nothing to do with my personal situation, just something that was on my mind. If you apply early decision to a certain school (binding), and then say are accepted to your "dream" school which was a reach, or you thought you had 0% of being accepted and was released from the binding contract, could you still attend that "dream" school?

My question is, if released from the binding early decision application, could an applicant still attend another school that cycle or does an ED app. regardless of released or not, mean you cannot attend another law school that cycle.

Thank you!

Also, I used forum search and the likes, but nothing came up that answered this specific question, mostly just the guidelines that follow an ED application.

isuperserial

Re: Early Decision Applications

Postby isuperserial » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:37 am

cfox17 wrote:I was wondering about a possible scenario, this has nothing to do with my personal situation, just something that was on my mind. If you apply early decision to a certain school (binding), and then say are accepted to your "dream" school which was a reach, or you thought you had 0% of being accepted and was released from the binding contract, could you still attend that "dream" school?

My question is, if released from the binding early decision application, could an applicant still attend another school that cycle or does an ED app. regardless of released or not, mean you cannot attend another law school that cycle.

Thank you!

Also, I used forum search and the likes, but nothing came up that answered this specific question, mostly just the guidelines that follow an ED application.

I think I'm understanding you correctly... If you ED to a school and are denied or put in the regular decision pool or anything else that releases you, then you have free reign.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:30 am

isuperserial wrote:
cfox17 wrote:I was wondering about a possible scenario, this has nothing to do with my personal situation, just something that was on my mind. If you apply early decision to a certain school (binding), and then say are accepted to your "dream" school which was a reach, or you thought you had 0% of being accepted and was released from the binding contract, could you still attend that "dream" school?

Thank you!

I think I'm understanding you correctly... If you ED to a school and are denied or put in the regular decision pool or anything else that releases you, then you have free reign.

Also, if you get a dream offer while the ED school is still deciding, you can just withdraw your ED application; you don't have to wait for them to deny you, waitlist you, move you to the RD pool, or anything else.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:20 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
isuperserial wrote:

Thank you!

Also, if you get a dream offer while the ED school is still deciding, you can just withdraw your ED application; you don't have to wait for them to deny you, waitlist you, move you to the RD pool, or anything else.

Just make sure I understand what you're saying, if I hypothetically ed Georgetown and then get accepted to Yale, I can withdraw from Georgetown and go to Yale before they deliver a decision and go to Yale without having broken my contract?

Sorry for egregious grammar, sent from my phone.

kershka

Postby kershka » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:25 am

Yes, if you withdraw your ED application to Georgetown (or any other school) before they make a decision then you are free to commit yourself elsewhere and will not have broken your contract.

In your hypothetical, you would be fine attending Yale.

Summerz

Postby Summerz » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:51 am

Ac couple years ago when I originally signed on to TLS as a visitor I read a thread where someone was accepted via an ED and then wanted out of their ED. The school originally said they were holding the applicant to the ED but the applicant raised so much hell about it on TLS that the school relented (at least I believe they did). I recall that the dean blogged about it. Right or wrong my belief is that a lot of people who are accepted via ED would have been accepted anyway — people can do the dumbest things when they’re under pressure.

Captainunaccountable

Postby Captainunaccountable » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:17 am

Summerz wrote:Ac couple years ago when I originally signed on to TLS as a visitor I read a thread where someone was accepted via an ED and then wanted out of their ED. The school originally said they were holding the applicant to the ED but the applicant raised so much hell about it on TLS that the school relented (at least I believe they did). I recall that the dean blogged about it. Right or wrong my belief is that a lot of people who are accepted via ED would have been accepted anyway — people can do the dumbest things when they’re under pressure.

The dean of admissions was persuaded to revoke an ED by TLS threads? What kind of forum is this?!

cfox17

Postby cfox17 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:21 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. ED apps are really a breed of their own so I was just wanting to hear some advice or information about them. You guys have answered my basic question, but I was wondering something a little more in detail.

Say you apply ED to school X, but regular admissions to your dream school Y, well you get accepted to both around the same time, I know you are supposed to withdraw or deny any other offers of admission upon ED acceptance but say you do not. Once you get the scholarship packet, find out that financially you may not be able to swing it and also learn about school X tearing down and constructing a new law school or anything that would impede your learning, could you call and ask to be released from ED from school X and still attend your dream school Y that cycle?

Thats confusing, and hypothetical, but I have always thought about it. The main point is, if accepted ED, say you call and ask to be released and are granted that release, could you attend another school that cycle or does LSAC still make you set out a year?

Thank you!

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:49 pm

In your hypo, you said "you get accepted to both around the same time". If the dream school's acceptance comes first, even if only by a day, withdraw the ED app and you're all set.

I know that in some schools' binding ED agreements, you're only bound to attend if the school accepts you AND it would be "financially affordable" for you to attend. The ambiguity is in the meaning of "financially affordable". It might be as broad as "you'll qualify to take out enough in loans", so that may not help you.

Other than that, I think it comes down to what you can talk your ED school into.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:42 am

cfox17 wrote:Thanks for the replies so far. ED apps are really a breed of their own so I was just wanting to hear some advice or information about them. You guys have answered my basic question, but I was wondering something a little more in detail.

Say you apply ED to school X, but regular admissions to your dream school Y, well you get accepted to both around the same time, I know you are supposed to withdraw or deny any other offers of admission upon ED acceptance but say you do not. Once you get the scholarship packet, find out that financially you may not be able to swing it and also learn about school X tearing down and constructing a new law school or anything that would impede your learning, could you call and ask to be released from ED from school X and still attend your dream school Y that cycle?

Thats confusing, and hypothetical, but I have always thought about it. The main point is, if accepted ED, say you call and ask to be released and are granted that release, could you attend another school that cycle or does LSAC still make you set out a year?

Thank you!

You can do anything they agree to, but when you do ED you've entered into a contract. They will generally have little to no reason to not hold you to your end of the bargain.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”