Early letters of rec?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlexVee

Early letters of rec?

Postby AlexVee » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:50 pm

The two professors who I would like to write my LoRs have already accepted, although I will not be applying until next cycle. Should I just request for the letters to be completed and sent to LSAC now? Or should I wait a little longer before I ask them to send them?

blackbirdfly

Re: Early letters of rec?

Postby blackbirdfly » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:52 pm

I think you should do it now, unless you'd be doing something between now and next cycle that you want your recommenders to include in their letters.

drevo

Postby drevo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:25 pm

blackbirdfly wrote:I think you should do it now, unless you'd be doing something between now and next cycle that you want your recommenders to include in their letters.

I second this. Getting letters of rec submitted often is the most time consuming process of having an application ready and obviously it is the one thing you have the least control over. The earlier they are in the earlier you don't have to stress about it. Obviously you have a long time for them to upload it and still remain an early applicant for next cycle. But it will be quite relaxing knowing that the one part you have to rely on someone else for is already done once fall comes around.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:27 pm

I had one of my LOR writers take over two and a half months to get me the letter, so I would recommend going ahead and getting the process started.

drevo

Postby drevo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:31 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:I had one of my LOR writers take over two and a half months to get me the letter, so I would recommend going ahead and getting the process started.

To add to this one of my recommenders took a month or two longer than anticipated because the weekend he planned on doing it his wife got in a car crash. Consequently, the letter of rec (and my apps) got pushed back a month as he dealt with the obviously more important results of the crash and then catching up on the classes he taught.

You can never be too early and having your app basically ready to go at the beginning of next cycle sets you up for the best possible outcomes.

AlexVee

Postby AlexVee » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure whether submitting them too early would be foolish or not. I'll definitely get on top of it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”