166 LSAT on a day I was sick... Should I retake?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sam71191

166 LSAT on a day I was sick... Should I retake?

Postby sam71191 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:33 am

Hi. I took the LSAT for the first time in December. I had been scoring consistently in the low 170s on my practice tests, but the day of the test I was sick and was really out of it. I ended up getting a 166, which is OK, but I am really trying to get into either UCLA or USC and that is a little low (my GPA is an 3.8 and I graduated from Boston College). Anyway, I have two questions:

1. Should I retake the LSAT in February? I think there is a very, very good chance I get a significantly higher score with a few weeks of prep to refresh my memory.

2. If I do decide to retake the test in February, do I need to somehow inform the schools to which I am applying that a February score will be forthcoming? I already submitted my applications and now they have the Dec. LSAT score so I feel like they will probably assume the application is complete unless they hear otherwise.

Thanks for your help!

DoveBodyWash

Re: 166 LSAT on a day I was sick... Should I retake?

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:54 am

yes you should re-take in February

Email all your schools and inform them of your February test, they'll hold off on making a decision until your new test arrives. I imagine you could still get into some good schools your current numbers anyway. I think you could probably get into USC with your numbers as they are now, but if you want leverage to negotiate, then you should ask them to wait for your Feb test. Since you have a 3.8, if you get anything above 171 you should just wait a year and re-apply and so you have a shot at T14's with scholarship

sam71191

Postby sam71191 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:05 am

My GPA is actually a 3.83. Just to be precise.

I am also currently working as a paralegal for the criminal division of a big law firm and my attorney boss wrote me a GLOWING letter of recommendation about how I reorganized her department and created a more efficient system, how I basically supervise 10 attorneys throughout the state of NJ, etc. I know pretty much nothing matters but the numbers but she showed me the letter before she submitted it and it was really, really glowing. (I graduated last May.)

Anyway, I really don't want to wait another year. I don't care about getting into a top 14 school. I just want to get into UCLA or USC. Preferably UCLA. Why would you suggest I wait another year if I score above 171?

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:05 pm

sam71191 wrote:My GPA is actually a 3.83. Just to be precise.

I am also currently working as a paralegal for the criminal division of a big law firm and my attorney boss wrote me a GLOWING letter of recommendation about how I reorganized her department and created a more efficient system, how I basically supervise 10 attorneys throughout the state of NJ, etc. I know pretty much nothing matters but the numbers but she showed me the letter before she submitted it and it was really, really glowing. (I graduated last May.)

Anyway, I really don't want to wait another year. I don't care about getting into a top 14 school. I just want to get into UCLA or USC. Preferably UCLA. Why would you suggest I wait another year if I score above 171?

Oh, shit. Forget the LSATs, just join the Supreme Court already. I'm sure Obama can find room for a fucking paralegal that "supervises" 10 attorneys. Ballin'.

drevo

Postby drevo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:13 pm

sam71191 wrote:Anyway, I really don't want to wait another year. I don't care about getting into a top 14 school. I just want to get into UCLA or USC. Preferably UCLA. Why would you suggest I wait another year if I score above 171?

Because if you wait another year you can apply early in the cycle and thus have the best shot for not only acceptance but for scholarship money. Also if UCLA is your goal if you can get a 171+ you are looking at HUGE money from UCLA next cycle judging by this cycle's results so far. THere are people with 3.6/172 who are receiving $105,000+ and people with 3.8/171+ are even pulling full rides.

I'm no expert but conventional wisdom is that late applications (like those with Feb scores) are at a disadvantage in getting money. So not wanting to sit out a cycle could screw yourself out of a FREE UCLA Law degree. Just my .02

usernotfound

Postby usernotfound » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Depends on your GPA.
Last edited by usernotfound on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leroyjenkins6969

Postby leroyjenkins6969 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:50 pm

sam71191 wrote:Hi. I took the LSAT for the first time in December. I had been scoring consistently in the low 170s on my practice tests, but the day of the test I was sick and was really out of it. I ended up getting a 166, which is OK, but I am really trying to get into either UCLA or USC and that is a little low (my GPA is an 3.8 and I graduated from Boston College). Anyway, I have two questions:

1. Should I retake the LSAT in February? I think there is a very, very good chance I get a significantly higher score with a few weeks of prep to refresh my memory.

2. If I do decide to retake the test in February, do I need to somehow inform the schools to which I am applying that a February score will be forthcoming? I already submitted my applications and now they have the Dec. LSAT score so I feel like they will probably assume the application is complete unless they hear otherwise.

Thanks for your help!

Honestly, that LSAT score seems to put you in a good place for admission to UCLA or USC. Re-taking could help with scholarship $ at UCLA though.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:51 pm

Retake

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:53 pm

BigZuck wrote:Retake

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:54 pm

cron1834 wrote:
sam71191 wrote:My GPA is actually a 3.83. Just to be precise.

Oh, shit. Forget the LSATs, just join the Supreme Court already. I'm sure Obama can find room for a fucking paralegal that "supervises" 10 attorneys. Ballin'.

:lol:

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:56 pm

Just retake homie.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”