Should I re-take LSAT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
asukajjang

Should I re-take LSAT?

Postby asukajjang » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 am

I got 140 score from december LSAT
I did not have enough time for preparing the exam due to heavy work load.
So, I'm planning to quit my job (at least I have 4 yrs of work experience) and study full-time for LSAT in June.
I just turned 31 this year, and I'm concerning if my age matters for admission and getting a job afterwards.
Should I re-take LSAT?

Blumpbeef

Re: Should I re-take LSAT?

Postby Blumpbeef » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:07 am

Your chances of improving your score enough to get into a good school are not high enough that it is worth quitting your job over.

keruan

Postby keruan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:12 am

whatever it is very risky

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:16 am

140 is terrible, even without any prep. You're probably better off sticking with the job you have at this point. But, if you are dead set on law school then you absolutely need to wait another year and retake. The difference between 31 and 32 is non-existent.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:14 am

Are you a native English speaker?

asukajjang

Postby asukajjang » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:37 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:Are you a native English speaker?

No, I'm not.

heythatslife

Postby heythatslife » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:46 am

Haven't I seen your username on a Korean LSAT message board somewhere?

Look, there is no law school worth going to with a 140, period. Heck, for an international applicant, anything outside T14 is downright risky becauas it's biglaw or bust. And if my guess is correct that you are Korean, you should be aware of the fact that there's an increasingly large number of highly qualified Korean nationals getting JDs, so you'll be facing extremely tough competition. As a case in point, the current HLS 1L class alone, I'm told, contains nearly 20 Korean students.

So, unless you can somehow miraculously jack up your score to 170+ (which I frankly don't see happening with your level of English), don't go to a US law school. Do yourself a favor by keeping your job and $250k.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:48 am

If your current job is at all decent, I would just keep it. Maybe do some prep and try again in a year. If you don't see a HUGE jump, I wouldn't pursue law school any further.

asukajjang

Postby asukajjang » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:25 am

heythatslife wrote:Haven't I seen your username on a Korean LSAT message board somewhere?

Look, there is no law school worth going to with a 140, period. Heck, for an international applicant, anything outside T14 is downright risky becauas it's biglaw or bust. And if my guess is correct that you are Korean, you should be aware of the fact that there's an increasingly large number of highly qualified Korean nationals getting JDs, so you'll be facing extremely tough competition. As a case in point, the current HLS 1L class alone, I'm told, contains nearly 20 Korean students.

So, unless you can somehow miraculously jack up your score to 170+ (which I frankly don't see happening with your level of English), don't go to a US law school. Do yourself a favor by keeping your job and $250k.

I'm not even planning to apply any schools with a 140. Frankly, I'm Korean, and working at legal team in online game company.
It would be much better if my score is 170+ in next LSAT. Either I have to quit the job or leave the office on time so that I can have a plenty of time to study. It's 100% sure I'm going to re-take the exam, but it all depends on the time I can afford. And perhaps I would be satisfied if my score will be around 165.

TigerDude

Postby TigerDude » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:58 pm

You should recognize the difficulty of a word-based test for non native speakers. Assuming you can go from 140 to 170+ is probably not wise.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Why don't you go to law school in Korea, where you don't have to deal with the language issue?

Your English is fine for basic conversation, but being a non-native speaker is going to be bad news when it comes to pages and pages of dense text.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”