Proper etiquette for fall grade updates

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
furrrman

Proper etiquette for fall grade updates

Postby furrrman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:01 am

Didn't see much info on this so I figured I'd start a thread.

For updating schools on fall grades should you email schools directly or just update through lsac? I'm leaning towards both, because lsac takes a long time to process and I'd like schools to see my grades as soon as they can as they do bring up my gpa. Is this normal? Just want to make sure its not some kind of odd faux pas I'm not familiar with.

drevo

Re: Proper etiquette for fall grade updates

Postby drevo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:34 am

I just asked Karen this over in the Q&A with former Admissions Officers thread. Karen said to send them an email to let them know about the increase but keep it very brief. However, I only asked about Berkeley in particular because it is way up on my list of places I want to attend and on mylsn.info all applicants with my LSAT and my pre-Fall '13 GPA got denied, whereas those with my post-fall '13 grades and LSAT got admitted. Berkeley has the GPA centric reputation and given the mylsn data that .04 increase seems substantial for the situation.

I am only going to send an email to individual schools about my new GPA to schools where that little difference may matter (i.e. schools that my odds aren't great for). For the rest of my applications I will just let LSAC update them because I think it may be frivolous and I don't want to bother them with an unnecessary email. Hope this helps!

furrrman

Re: Proper etiquette for fall grade updates

Postby furrrman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:44 am

drevo wrote:I just asked Karen this over in the Q&A with former Admissions Officers thread. Karen said to send them an email to let them know about the increase but keep it very brief. However, I only asked about Berkeley in particular because it is way up on my list of places I want to attend and on mylsn.info all applicants with my LSAT and my pre-Fall '13 GPA got denied, whereas those with my post-fall '13 grades and LSAT got admitted. Berkeley has the GPA centric reputation and given the mylsn data that .04 increase seems substantial for the situation.

I am only going to send an email to individual schools about my new GPA to schools where that little difference may matter (i.e. schools that my odds aren't great for). For the rest of my applications I will just let LSAC update them because I think it may be frivolous and I don't want to bother them with an unnecessary email. Hope this helps!

This was what I was thinking, nice to see it confirmed. Thanks.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”