Undergraduate housing violation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mermaidprincess92

Undergraduate housing violation

Postby mermaidprincess92 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:17 am

Have you ever been subject to a warning, dismissal, suspension, probation, or other disciplinary or academic sanction by any
college, university, professional school, or professional association?

I received a few housing violations as an undergrad, I never receieved any harsh punishment and it never became an issue. I had two alcohol violations I receievd while studying abroad (I was of legal drinking age but I was staying on a dry campus) and I think I had an overnight violation in the dorms my sophormore year but I honestly don't remember what happened with it because in all incidents I just received an email notification and for my alcohol violation I just had to do an online course. Does this need to be disclosed to law schools?

daryldixon

Re: Undergraduate housing violation

Postby daryldixon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:20 am

mermaidprincess92 wrote:Have you ever been subject to a warning, dismissal, suspension, probation, or other disciplinary or academic sanction by any
college, university, professional school, or professional association?

I received a few housing violations as an undergrad, I never receieved any harsh punishment and it never became an issue. I had two alcohol violations I receievd while studying abroad (I was of legal drinking age but I was staying on a dry campus) and I think I had an overnight violation in the dorms my sophormore year but I honestly don't remember what happened with it because in all incidents I just received an email notification and for my alcohol violation I just had to do an online course. Does this need to be disclosed to law schools?

Yes. Because they fall within the application question you posted above and these are the kinds of violations that will come up during C&F.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:26 am

You're a very naughty girl.

mermaidprincess92

Postby mermaidprincess92 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 am

I already sent in two applications before I remembered these violations and realized it could fall under what they want to hear about, I honestly was under the impression that housing violations were not of interest to law school because they never resulted in disciplinary action. Can I go back and edit these applications I already sent in? Has anyone had experience with this?

daryldixon

Postby daryldixon » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:31 am

mermaidprincess92 wrote:I already sent in two applications before I remembered these violations and realized it could fall under what they want to hear about, I honestly was under the impression that housing violations were not of interest to law school because they never resulted in disciplinary action. Can I go back and edit these applications I already sent in? Has anyone had experience with this?

Send in addendums. It won't look great but it is better than the alternative.

Also, read each application question carefully and make sure it includes the violations you listed. They may not all be as inclusive as the one you listed above.

mermaidprincess92

Postby mermaidprincess92 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:20 pm

the questions are so broad, "Have you ever been dropped, suspended, warned, placed on academic or disciplinary probation, disciplined, expelled, or requested or advised to resign from any post-secondary school, college, university, professional school, or law school? (If yes, you are required to submit a separate explanatory statement from the institution's dean or an authorized school official, providing information about the incident.)"

I really don't know what they mean by disciplined? I went to a very strict catholic undergrad so everyone got in trouble all the time but it was mostly with warning emails if that is considered disciplined? If I didn't do my recycling properly or had a friend check out five min late I would get an email violation I have no idea which ones would even count or which ones schools care to hear about :/

kershka

Postby kershka » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Err on the side of full disclosure. No LS is going to care about curfew violations but the bar will care about inconsistencies. I'm assuming that these were violations of your school's honor code or something similar? For schools to which you haven't yet applied, just include a brief addendum. For schools to which you have already applied, it might be worth calling them and asking if such violations qualify. If so, then send in the extra addenda.

The LS will have a better idea about what they count as "disciplined" then anyone on here will.

Edit: whoops, just read your statement more carefully and saw the bit about your Dean sending in the letter instead. If that is a considerable hassle, then I would definitely email/call your LS first to ask if such minor violations of an honor code count.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”