Additional Space application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mermaidprincess92

Additional Space application

Postby mermaidprincess92 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:43 pm

I am submitting a programmatic contribution for my UCLA app, and it has a space to type it in and says if you need additional space attach it in the programmatic contribution section that is "optional". So would I type what fits into the main space then attach the rest or just attach the whole thing? Do I write anything in the main box?

txdude45

Re: Additional Space application

Postby txdude45 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:29 pm

mermaidprincess92 wrote:I am submitting a programmatic contribution for my UCLA app, and it has a space to type it in and says if you need additional space attach it in the programmatic contribution section that is "optional". So would I type what fits into the main space then attach the rest or just attach the whole thing? Do I write anything in the main box?

I'd put whatever fits into the main section into that section and then put only the remainder in the "optional" section. Maybe add [continued in optional section] and [continued] as markers at the end and beginning of the respective boxes.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:29 pm

I would put "See Whatever The Thing Is Called, attached" in the box and attach the complete thing. Label the attachment so it's clear what part of the app it's for. You don't want a page later in the application that starts in the middle of some random file.

mermaidprincess92

Postby mermaidprincess92 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:15 pm

thats a good idea, thanks!

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:29 pm

txdude45 wrote: I'd put whatever fits into the main section into that section and then put only the remainder in the "optional" section. Maybe add [continued in optional section] and [continued] as markers at the end and beginning of the respective boxes.

this sounds strange. why would you purposely include an interruption in your statement? just put "per instructions, see attached" or similar.

txdude45

Postby txdude45 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:53 am

Pneumonia wrote:this sounds strange. why would you purposely include an interruption in your statement? just put "per instructions, see attached" or similar.

The problem is with the instructions themselves, which are incredibly ambiguous. Do they want the additional amount attached, or do they want the whole statement placed in a completely different section if it's too long? I do think the second way makes more sense, but I read it as the first way.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:02 am

txdude45 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:this sounds strange. why would you purposely include an interruption in your statement? just put "per instructions, see attached" or similar.

The problem is with the instructions themselves, which are incredibly ambiguous. Do they want the additional amount attached, or do they want the whole statement placed in a completely different section if it's too long? I do think the second way makes more sense, but I read it as the first way.

I agree that the second way makes more sense. If you're worried about it I'm sure they'd respond quickly to an email.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:34 am

txdude45 wrote:

It's ambiguous only in that they expect you to know which way is stupid and which way makes sense. Admissions committees aren't Machiavellian gamemakers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”