LSAT addendum and C&F questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Daedalus

LSAT addendum and C&F questions

Postby Daedalus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:13 pm

Last edited by Daedalus on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Re: LSAT addendum and C&F questions

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 pm

1. Do not write an addendum. Your proposed addendum harms you in two ways. First, it draws attention to your lower score. Second, it makes you seem like you can't handle the routine stresses of life. Most (all?) law students will end up taking a final exam or two while "kind of sick with a slight cold and a headache."

2. No, do not disclose the email you got informing you that you were going to be placed on academic probation. If your school never went ahead and actually recorded the probation on your transcript, I don't think it's necessary to share the email with adcomms.

Good luck!

Daedalus wrote:Hey everyone,

I have two questions:

1. I took the February 2013 LSAT and got a 167. I just got back my results from December--163 :(

Yes, I know that's a pitiful score (at least compared to 167). The thing is I felt I had studied more for December than for February. Coming out of the test I felt I did okay (slightly higher than last time), but in retrospect it seems some of my guessing and careless errors had a worse effect than they did last time.

Should I write an addendum for this? I was kind of sick that morning with a slight cold and a headache during the early part of the test. This doesn't feel like enough to warrant an addendum, but on the other hand I'm not sure how negatively a 4 point drop would affect my chances.

2. During one year of undergraduate I was placed on unofficial academic warning and then the next quarter received an email saying I was going to be placed on academic probation, which is official and is noted on the transcript. But meeting with my advisor a few days later, I was informed my advisor had already gotten the academic probation dismissed (I don't have a written record of this, but it's evident because nothing ended up on my transcript).

Since it doesn't show on my academic record at all, should I just not mention it on C&F questions? I mean it's not like it was recorded and then expunged, it was simply dismissed as soon as the issue arose. I still plan to note my academic warning on questions that specifically ask about academic warnings, though. What do you guys think?

Thanks and best wishes for 2014,

Daedalus

furrrman

Postby furrrman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:10 am

1. I don't think you need an addendum for the lsat score.

2. Depending on the language of the C+F I would disclose. Sounds like a warning to me, and if the warning was for bad grades a semester or two schools will see that on your transcript anyways.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:04 pm

rpupkin wrote:2. No, do not disclose the email you got informing you that you were going to be placed on academic probation. If your school never went ahead and actually recorded the probation on your transcript, I don't think it's necessary to share the email with adcomms.

Not necessarily true. It depends on the question and the specific situation (since we only have a cursory explanation). If this is something the school wants you to disclose and you don't, and it later comes out, this is the type of thing that can cause serious issues down the line.

If the question leaves any doubt in your mind, get in touch with the law school to ask. Also, get in touch with your advisor and the dean to see what, exactly, was placed where on your transcript.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”