Never been so depressed in my life-

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hoping4Happiness
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 8:19 am

Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby Hoping4Happiness » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:06 pm

First time taking the LSAT got a 163, knew I could do better... so I decided to re-take and to my utter shock I got a 158... I have been crying all afternoon. My question is for anyone that is knowledgble on the matter, do I still have a descent chance at getting a 80% scholarship at a T2 school (50-100 range) or have I just screwed myself? I also won't be sending in my apps until Jan 10th.. (pretty late in the cycle) please tell me the impact this is going to have..

all advice and opinions are very much appreciated!

User avatar
Ron Mexico
Posts: 13536
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby Ron Mexico » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:07 pm

retake again and apply next cycle.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby rad lulz » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:07 pm

n
Last edited by rad lulz on Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:15 pm

Hoping4Happiness wrote:First time taking the LSAT got a 163, knew I could do better... so I decided to re-take and to my utter shock I got a 158... I have been crying all afternoon. My question is for anyone that is knowledgble on the matter, do I still have a descent chance at getting a 80% scholarship at a T2 school (50-100 range) or have I just screwed myself? I also won't be sending in my apps until Jan 10th.. (pretty late in the cycle) please tell me the impact this is going to have..

all advice and opinions are very much appreciated!

If you're focused on a "T2" school, you're doing it wrong. Once you get below the top 20 or so schools, you really should be concerned with the region in which you want to practice. A so-called TTT can be a much better investment than a school ranked 65th, particularly if that TTT offers you a full ride or close to it.

As others have suggested, you should retake. But if you're going to apply with that 163, don't get hung up on the largely meaningless "T2 school" designation.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby DaRascal » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:22 pm

.
Last edited by DaRascal on Mon May 05, 2014 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

inlovewithpiper
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby inlovewithpiper » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:26 pm

DaRascal wrote:Haha oh man I feel you. I'm in a worse spot. I had a 3.61/161 last year and I used my ED at Columbia where I got held and then finally rejected after waiting about seven months. I honestly feel if I had used it at a school like Michigan or Duke I would have been set. I slacked off my whole senior year of college because some TLS posters told me I would get into the T14 because of being a URM and my GPA dropped to 3.49. I ended up getting WL'ed and rejected at five T14's. I had some good options outside of the T14 but passed them up to retake. I studied pretty hard for December but didn't sleep the night before the exam and took it on an intense adrenaline rush. I still felt really good but ended up getting a 160. Now I've not only got $400/month in student loan repayments with no job but I might have botched my shot at the T14 again and this girl I liked hates me because I came on too strongly and creeped her out.


I actually don't know how to respond to this... The odds are certainly not in your favor.

Hope things turn up for you.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby DaRascal » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:34 pm

.
Last edited by DaRascal on Mon May 05, 2014 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby cron1834 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 pm

Dude, S/Os are like LSATs - if you fail one, take some time off, clear your head, improve your shit, and try another.

lsatismylifefornow
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby lsatismylifefornow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 pm

-
Last edited by lsatismylifefornow on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby DaRascal » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:42 pm

.
Last edited by DaRascal on Mon May 05, 2014 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JustHawkin
Posts: 1753
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby JustHawkin » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:45 pm

cron1834 wrote:Dude, S/Os are like LSATs - if you fail one, take some time off, clear your head, improve your shit, and try another.

This post is the most 180 piece of advice I've ever seen.

User avatar
cron1834
Posts: 1921
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 am

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby cron1834 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:05 am

DaRascal wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Dude, S/Os are like LSATs - if you fail one, take some time off, clear your head, improve your shit, and try another.


Thing is I met her on a dating site and we had a near perfect compatibility rating. Sounds lame but we really did have a ton in common and got along well. I just started to come off as someone who I wasn't and turned her off. Then I bombarded her with calls and texts when she said we should go our separate ways and that she wouldn't respond to me anymore. It's a mess. Now that I'm in control of my emotions I've done so much damage. My only hope is that I can let time run its course and hope she's not taken when it's time to give it another go.


Try another. Like a shitty LSAT score, you've convinced yourself that no improvements can be made. It's just not true. There are thousands of girls online that would like to LARP with you (I kid, but youknowwhatImean).

03152016
Posts: 9189
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 am

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby 03152016 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:11 am

.
Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby DaRascal » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:18 am

.
Last edited by DaRascal on Mon May 05, 2014 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby Nova » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:28 am

Youre still gonna do good, OP. Youll get good money at some good regional schools.

DaRascal wrote:Haha oh man I feel you. I'm in a worse spot. I had a 3.61/161 last year and I used my ED at Columbia where I got held and then finally rejected after waiting about seven months. I honestly feel if I had used it at a school like Michigan or Duke I would have been set. I slacked off my whole senior year of college because some TLS posters told me I would get into the T14 because of being a URM and my GPA dropped to 3.49. I ended up getting WL'ed and rejected at five T14's. I had some good options outside of the T14 but passed them up to retake. I studied pretty hard for December but didn't sleep the night before the exam and took it on an intense adrenaline rush. I still felt really good but ended up getting a 160. Now I've not only got $400/month in student loan repayments with no job but I might have botched my shot at the T14 again and this girl I liked hates me because I came on too strongly and creeped her out.

at least you tried
Last edited by Nova on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hoping4Happiness
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 8:19 am

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby Hoping4Happiness » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 am

Hey guys,
OP here.. checking in.. still depressed.. but now with a migraine too.. still trying to piece myself back together..

What I am really trying to get to the bottom of is if you guys believe that it truly fares that "your high score is your only score"

Also would it be favorable to write an addendum explaining my 5 pt decrease? (EPIC SIGH -never thought I'd have to an addendum for a DECREASE)

Hoping4Happiness
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 8:19 am

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby Hoping4Happiness » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:31 am

Nova wrote:Your still gonna do good, man. Youll get good money at some good regional schools.


Thanks Nova, lol you must think I'm craycray, sorry I'm kind of having a panic attack and just trying to get answers... maybe this is just me reaching out to be reassured in this dark hour... :L
Last edited by Hoping4Happiness on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daedalus
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby Daedalus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:49 am

Hey OP,

I don't know if you should write an addendum for your LSAT decrease, but your chances aren't as dismal as you may think because:

1. From what I've read schools are especially incentivized to look only at your highest scores this cycle because of the decreases in LSAT medians

2. You have an excellent GPA (you said it was 3.76 in another thread)

Gathering from LSN:

http://mylsn.info/gvk9d4

You seem to have a good shot at $$ from several lower Tier 1 schools.

Of course like many here said rankings like 20-50 are something of a meaningless distinction because what you really want to look at for these schools is job prospects, but getting money from a strong school in a region where you have ties (and thus better career opportunities) definitely does not seem out of the picture for you.
Last edited by Daedalus on Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DaRascal
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby DaRascal » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:50 am

.
Last edited by DaRascal on Mon May 05, 2014 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby Nova » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:05 am

DaRascal wrote:Nova, you're talking about the girl situation right?

Its good you tried and youre both gonna have good cycles

User avatar
Legisperitus
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:27 am

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby Legisperitus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:40 am

Hoping4Happiness wrote: Also would it be favorable to write an addendum explaining my 5 pt decrease? (EPIC SIGH -never thought I'd have to an addendum for a DECREASE)

I don't know how to quote from another thread but former admissions officer Mike Spivey said don't bother with an addendum if your LSAT score goes down since schools really only care about the highest one. You should be fine.

Hoping4Happiness
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 8:19 am

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby Hoping4Happiness » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:26 am

Legisperitus wrote:
Hoping4Happiness wrote: Also would it be favorable to write an addendum explaining my 5 pt decrease? (EPIC SIGH -never thought I'd have to an addendum for a DECREASE)

I don't know how to quote from another thread but former admissions officer Mike Spivey said don't bother with an addendum if your LSAT score goes down since schools really only care about the highest one. You should be fine.


Okay, thank you!

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:39 am

Hey OP, here's my story:

I took the October 2011 LSAT. Scored a 162. I knew I could do better so I took a year off to study. I took the December 2012 LSAT and you know what happened? I effing bombed it. Bombed the shit out of it. Section 1 was a LG and I couldn't do Game 2 and Game 4 at all. I spent so much time on Game 1 and was so confused by Game 2 that I flipped back and forth before settling on Game 3. I finished that one and ran out of time. Had to guess D for ALL of Game 2 and Game 4. I was pretty dejected and was hoping that it was experimental. I couldn't focus on Section 2 (Reading Comp). Section after section went by and there were no more LGs to be found. After studying for AN ENTIRE YEAR, I CANCELLED my score. I was never more depressed than that in my life. Then I applied with my TTT 162 and almost went to NDLS at sticker. I thought I was done with the LSAT and would just go. Then one day while mopping the floor during a closing shift at a cafe that I worked at, I realized that I still had something left in the tank. I knew from all my PTs I was better than a 162. So you know what I did? That night in late March, I decided to just take the June LSAT for fun. Why not? I had nothing to lose. If I succeed, I'll take another year. If I fail, I'll just go to ND (at sticker, that's a fucking awful decision and I'm so glad people on TLS convinced me otherwise).

I took the June LSAT, and do you know what happened? I got a 163. A. Fucking. One. Sixty. Three. That's one point higher than the 162 that I got on my FIRST LSAT. After all that studying?! Dafuq.

So you know, with 3 shots at the LSAT and the highest score I got was a 163, you figured I'd just quit right? I don't know. I was pretty depressed but I just KNEW that it wasn't my best. I knew in my heart that I could do better. Do you know what I did next?

I took a year off. lol. Gun for that December LSAT. Going to get my 170 one way or another. I had to prove my PTs weren't a fluke. I knew I knew the stuff. I just had to deliver on test day. So I studied and well....

I still didn't get a 170. But today, I got a 167, and that's a hell whole lot better than that TTT 162. Plus, with falling apps, my score is even more valuable now than it was back in 2011.

If you worked hard and you know you know the material, don't give up hope. I wish I got the 170. I still know I could do it but atlas, I am out of retakes. I am disappointed but I am pretty happy at the same time. I put myself in a better position (and gained a bunch of work experience as well as life experience while doing it).

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=203182

inlovewithpiper
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby inlovewithpiper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:51 am

ManoftheHour wrote:Hey OP, here's my story:

I took the October 2011 LSAT. Scored a 162. I knew I could do better so I took a year off to study. I took the December 2012 LSAT and you know what happened? I effing bombed it. Bombed the shit out of it. Section 1 was a LG and I couldn't do Game 2 and Game 4 at all. I spent so much time on Game 1 and was so confused by Game 2 that I flipped back and forth before settling on Game 3. I finished that one and ran out of time. Had to guess D for ALL of Game 2 and Game 4. I was pretty dejected and was hoping that it was experimental. I couldn't focus on Section 2 (Reading Comp). Section after section went by and there were no more LGs to be found. After studying for AN ENTIRE YEAR, I CANCELLED my score. I was never more depressed than that in my life. Then I applied with my TTT 162 and almost went to NDLS at sticker. I thought I was done with the LSAT and would just go. Then one day while mopping the floor during a closing shift at a cafe that I worked at, I realized that I still had something left in the tank. I knew from all my PTs I was better than a 162. So you know what I did? That night in late March, I decided to just take the June LSAT for fun. Why not? I had nothing to lose. If I succeed, I'll take another year. If I fail, I'll just go to ND (at sticker, that's a fucking awful decision and I'm so glad people on TLS convinced me otherwise).

I took the June LSAT, and do you know what happened? I got a 163. A. Fucking. One. Sixty. Three. That's one point higher than the 162 that I got on my FIRST LSAT. After all that studying?! Dafuq.

So you know, with 3 shots at the LSAT and the highest score I got was a 163, you figured I'd just quit right? I don't know. I was pretty depressed but I just KNEW that it wasn't my best. I knew in my heart that I could do better. Do you know what I did next?

I took a year off. lol. Gun for that December LSAT. Going to get my 170 one way or another. I had to prove my PTs weren't a fluke. I knew I knew the stuff. I just had to deliver on test day. So I studied and well....

I still didn't get a 170. But today, I got a 167, and that's a hell whole lot better than that TTT 162. Plus, with falling apps, my score is even more valuable now than it was back in 2011.

If you worked hard and you know you know the material, don't give up hope. I wish I got the 170. I still know I could do it but atlas, I am out of retakes. I am disappointed but I am pretty happy at the same time. I put myself in a better position (and gained a bunch of work experience as well as life experience while doing it).

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=203182


This is an interesting story... May I ask what you would have done if, on that second re-take, you had scored a 165 instead of a 163?

Would you still have re-taken for a 3rd (and waited another year in the process)?

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3402
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Never been so depressed in my life-

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:04 am

inlovewithpiper wrote:
This is an interesting story... May I ask what you would have done if, on that second re-take, you had scored a 165 instead of a 163?

Would you still have re-taken for a 3rd (and waited another year in the process)?


I probably would have retaken until I could no more. I found out that some people use the June LSAT for leverage for their current offers. As in, I would have taken the June LSAT regardless because I already had offers on the table. Remember, at the time, I was set on going that year. However, if I got a better score, I could use it for scholly negotiations. I found a decent job soon afterwards to support myself and some up some cash while I was at it. Even though I had decreased study time the next time around, I still knew I knew the material well enough. It was just a matter of controlling my nerves and pulling it together for just one time.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests