Change in Applicant Volume & 509 Reports for Top 50 Schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SparkyZZZ

Re: Change in Applicant Volume & 509 Reports for Top 50 Schools

Postby SparkyZZZ » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:08 pm

Well, I think a big worry is that although they are holding a strong line on maintaing their LSAT/GPA standards...if the number of applicants continues to dip, then they will eventually have to drop their standards...they can't hold out forever. Realistically, if they drop again like they did last year...they will have no choice but to lower entry requirements in my opinion.

lawschool22 is right, the best school in the state will dominate that state. However, I know that a fair number of U of Iowa students hold out some hope for Chicago, and if their ranking drops...I feel like a lot of those Chicago opportunities will dry up.

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:15 pm

SparkyZZZ wrote:Well, I think a big worry is that although they are holding a strong line on maintaing their LSAT/GPA standards...if the number of applicants continues to dip, then they will eventually have to drop their standards...they can't hold out forever. Realistically, if they drop again like they did last year...they will have no choice but to lower entry requirements in my opinion.

lawschool22 is right, the best school in the state will dominate that state. However, I know that a fair number of U of Iowa students hold out some hope for Chicago, and if their ranking drops...I feel like a lot of those Chicago opportunities will dry up.

Yeah I agree. Though the education offered is still the same, the worry is that by lowering entry requirements the relative quality of the student body will decrease over time.

jthomas.7489

Postby jthomas.7489 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:03 am

SparkyZZZ wrote:Well, I think a big worry is that although they are holding a strong line on maintaing their LSAT/GPA standards...if the number of applicants continues to dip, then they will eventually have to drop their standards...they can't hold out forever. Realistically, if they drop again like they did last year...they will have no choice but to lower entry requirements in my opinion.

We'll see what happens with the rank after this cycle. Obviously, student numbers can only drop so far. At the same time, it seems to me that Iowa is in many ways better equipped to handle such a drop than many schools. I do believe that the state of Iowa's budget is in much better shape than many of its peer schools, and the State of Iowa has shown a willingness to fund the University, which may mean that Iowa is in a good position to deal with low student numbers. I wonder if some of the other schools will be forced to dramatically lower admission standards during the next couple years because they have to maintain enrollment numbers due to funding problems, while Iowa may be able to "tough it out." Already, Indiana and Minnesota's 25 percent LSAT numbers are well below Iowa's 25 percent (154 and 156 v. 159 for Iowa). I have no real inside information other than hearing that the administration received permission to dramatically lower the class size in order to maintain quality, in the hope that it would pay off in a few years.

Iowa almost certainly is a bad choice if you want, for example, California big law--I imagine it is possible, but you have to be at the very top of the class, but that is the same for all of the tier one schools outside of the T6 or so and/or California. I don't think it is necessarily a worse choice than other similarly ranked schools (after accounting for cost, where you want to practice, etc.).

SparkyZZZ

Postby SparkyZZZ » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:05 pm

So I was comparing BC's applicant thread this year with last year's, and I noticed around 20 fewer pages of posts compared to this time last year. My question is, do you think you can infer a connection between posts here and app volume? I know this is a ridiculously small sample, but if the people on here are ambivalent, I can't imagine what it's like in the general population.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:52 pm

Iowa is obviously gaming the student faculty ratio here come on people. They will own that 0.03 percent!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”