Applying this cycle but 90% sure about taking a gap year?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NextLevy

Applying this cycle but 90% sure about taking a gap year?

Postby NextLevy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:48 pm

I have my applications nearly finished on LSAC, but within the past month I have decided that I would really like to take a year off from school. My question is, would it hurt my chances next cycle if I were to apply to schools during this cycle, be accepted, choose not to attend, then reapply in September? Applying to T14 (not HYS) if that makes any difference.

bp shinners

Re: Applying this cycle but 90% sure about taking a gap year?

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:53 am

NextLevy wrote:I have my applications nearly finished on LSAC, but within the past month I have decided that I would really like to take a year off from school. My question is, would it hurt my chances next cycle if I were to apply to schools during this cycle, be accepted, choose not to attend, then reapply in September? Applying to T14 (not HYS) if that makes any difference.

No, but you might want to mention in an addendum why you'll definitely attend this time.

Honestly, though, I'd wait until next cycle and send in an application. A year of WE, coupled with what will almost assuredly be a smaller applicant pool, will probably yield better results anyway. And applying for deferrals isn't a sure thing.

kmj-c09

Postby kmj-c09 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:36 pm

I was under the impression that some law schools will allow 1-2 years deferral after acceptance?
Not sure but may be something worth looking into, if you have your apps completed you could apply and see how it goes with the understanding that you can always apply again next cycle.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:47 pm

Deferrals are given for good reasons, not just handed out...I don't think "I wanna just take a gap year" would be good enough to get one.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:17 pm

If I was positive about taking a gap year I wouldn't apply now.

NextLevy

Postby NextLevy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Crowing wrote:If I was positive about taking a gap year I wouldn't apply now.

Is this because it could hurt my admission chances next year? If there was absolutely zero harm in applying twice, I figured I would apply this cycle to at least get a feel for my admission chances.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:26 am

NextLevy wrote:

Is this because it could hurt my admission chances next year? If there was absolutely zero harm in applying twice, I figured I would apply this cycle to at least get a feel for my admission chances.

Well, applying late generally reduces your chances, and as a reapplicant you probably won't be admitted with what is essentially the same app. Put those two together, and I wouldn't suggest doing it. I did it and didn't have great results.

The way I see it, there is really 0 practocal benefit to you applying now and at least some risk of a disadvantage, so I wouldn't do it. But ymmv especially if applicants keep falling, idk.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:49 am

Bajam wrote:Deferrals are given for good reasons, not just handed out...I don't think "I wanna just take a gap year" would be good enough to get one.

That varies by school. A Georgetown representative told me that they'll give 1 year deferrals to basically anyone who asks for one, but they're stingier with 2 year deferrals.

Postby 03152016 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:16 am

NextLevy wrote:

You can get a feel for your admission chances now by entering your numbers into mylsn.info. Why spend hundreds of dollars and go through the hassle of applying if you're basically set on taking a year off? Also, there's no guarantee that the schools you're accepted to this year are the same schools you'll be accepted to next year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”