LSAC GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SoapyIllusion

LSAC GPA

Postby SoapyIllusion » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:05 pm

So I am currently a junior and I am thinking about minoring in philosophy. I already have a few units, so I would only need 18 units to successfully receive the minor. I should still be able to graduate on time if I take classes during interim sessions. I would be taking my major classes and minor classes concurrently and I am positive I will fulfill my minor requirements before my major requirements. Does this mean that LSAC will calculate my GPA using all classes from both my major and minor? Stupid question but I am just making sure.

Dr.Zer0

Re: LSAC GPA

Postby Dr.Zer0 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:06 pm

Yes.

SoapyIllusion

Postby SoapyIllusion » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:14 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. Does anybody know how the LSAC considers the circumstance of double minors? For example, if I double minor before I receive my major degree, do they calculate all the classes I have taken into my GPA? If so, couldn't double minoring be a good way to raise your GPA?

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:17 pm

Every college class you take before your first degree is officially awarded counts toward your LSDAS GPA. Your school's own major/minor/total hours requirements are irrelevant.

kershka

Postby kershka » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:12 pm

LSAC calculates your GPA based upon every college-level course you have ever taken (prior to receiving your first Bachelors) with no distinction made for what degree that course was intended. This includes every university you have attended, any study abroad course, any college-level courses taken while still in high school, and even any "just for fun" classes you might have taken at a community college.

Adding classes that you do well in (i.e. do better than your current GPA) will thus increase your LSDAS GPA; it is irrelevant whether it contributes to your major or minor.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”