How much of a difference can 10 days make? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hoping4Happiness

New

How much of a difference can 10 days make?

Post by Hoping4Happiness » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:52 am

Do you guys think theres a big difference between applying the day before Lsat scores come out (regardless of when that may be) and applying 3/4 days AFTER the scores come out? I feel like the day the scores come out and the 1/2 days after that there will be a big influx of students applying...

I ask because I'm worried.. I had planned on sending all my applications in by tomorrow but my teacher who promised to send me my letter of rec a week ago is not responding to my emails! :0 So I'm not sure what to do from here... I don't think I'll hear back from her until the second week of Jan... even besides that.. I feel my PS is not as strong as I want it to be and I should spend another week on it... al;skdfjslkdf2l4k Your input on this is greatly appreciated.

peace and blessings ya'll

cslouisck

Bronze

Re: How much of a difference can 10 days make?

Post by cslouisck » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:59 am

Seems like the bigger issue here is that you're all set to apply without knowing your score. Without it, there's really no reasonable way to know where you ought to be applying. So... maybe that answers your question. More generally, though, this is pretty late in the game, and depending on the set of schools to which you choose to apply, waiting so long has likely cost you opportunities at places that would have been friendlier to your application earlier in the cycle.

Given that 1) you don't know your score, 2) your PS isn't where you want it to be, 3) you're not sure when you'll hear back about your LOR and 4) you're at a disadvantage applying this late, I'd seriously consider holding off on applying this time around. Maybe that puts you in a rough spot for the next year or so, but your future less-indebted and more-employed self will thank you for it.

Psy123

New

Post by Psy123 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:21 am

cslouisck wrote:Seems like the bigger issue here is that you're all set to apply without knowing your score. Without it, there's really no reasonable way to know where you ought to be applying. So... maybe that answers your question. More generally, though, this is pretty late in the game, and depending on the set of schools to which you choose to apply, waiting so long has likely cost you opportunities at places that would have been friendlier to your application earlier in the cycle.

Given that 1) you don't know your score, 2) your PS isn't where you want it to be, 3) you're not sure when you'll hear back about your LOR and 4) you're at a disadvantage applying this late, I'd seriously consider holding off on applying this time around. Maybe that puts you in a rough spot for the next year or so, but your future less-indebted and more-employed self will thank you for it.
Im not so sure that really applies to this year, many schools are throwing money around like candy and are desperate to keep their numbers up since applications are likely down even more from last year.

TC wait till you get your score and come back here with your numbers to ask where to apply, chances are you will get some decent money even this late in the game. And of course if you don't then apply next cycle but I don't think it would be wise to just sit this one out without at least taking a shot at seeing what opportunities are available this year.

Hoping4Happiness

New

Post by Hoping4Happiness » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:11 am

Two great perspectives. Thank you.
Last edited by Hoping4Happiness on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cslouisck

Bronze

Post by cslouisck » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:14 am

Psy123 wrote: but I don't think it would be wise to just sit this one out without at least taking a shot at seeing what opportunities are available this year.
Good point. Consider my advice revised to include this along the with the caveat that if you feel like you could do significantly better with proper prep, you shouldn't feel obligated to choose any school this time around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”