Has anyone done this? 1L fall PT, transfer, re-start 1L FT?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gnome16

Has anyone done this? 1L fall PT, transfer, re-start 1L FT?

Postby Gnome16 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Has anyone started 1L as a part-time student, and then applied to attend somewhere else full-time for the following fall?

I just got my grades back from my PT program, K= A- (4 hrs), Crim= B+ (3 hrs). I want to go from a T3 to T1. I'd have to take those classes again, how do you think an adcomm would look at this? I'm a split on medians at the target school (a point below on LSAT, a hair above on UGPA).

In my app I said if admitted, I'd drop from my PT program. I began the PT program because of work/location, but I enjoyed my first semester, and after some soul searching want to commit to a career as an attorney.

The problem is I started LS at a school where I was above the 75th percentile LSAT/GPA because I was still hedging a bit and I was able to attend at almost no cost. Now I feel like the hedging may have prevented me from attending a school with a little more quality to its name, and better future job prospects.

I guess the real question here is what the hell is an adcomm going to think?

Is it worth retaking those damn courses again??
Last edited by Gnome16 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john1990

Re: Has anyone done this? 1L fall PT, transfer, re-start 1L FT?

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Gnome16 wrote:Has anyone started 1L as a part-time student, and then applied to attend somewhere else full-time for the following fall?

I just got my grades back from my PT program, K= A- (4 hrs), Crim= B+ (3 hrs). I want to go from a T3 to T1. I'd have to take those classes again, how do you think an adcomm would look at this? I'm a split on medians at the target school (a point below on LSAT, a hair above on UGPA).

In my app I said if admitted, I'd drop from my PT program. I began the PT program because of work/location, but I enjoyed my first semester, and after some soul searching want to commit to a career as an attorney.

The problem is I started LS at a school where I was above the 75th percentile LSAT/GPA because I was still hedging a bit and I was able to attend at almost no cost. Now I feel like the hedging may have prevented me from attending a school with a little more quality to its name, and better future job prospects.

Interesting thread. I am also considering dropping and reapplying since I had a bad cycle but did not want to be left out in the cold. It was to good an offer to turn up, but still not my best offer. So ill be in this thread :mrgreen: Id like to also ask what effect it will have if you drop before you receive grades

Gnome16

Re: Has anyone done this? 1L fall PT, transfer, re-start 1L FT?

Postby Gnome16 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:44 pm

john1990 wrote:
Gnome16 wrote:Has anyone started 1L as a part-time student, and then applied to attend somewhere else full-time for the following fall?

Interesting thread. I am also considering dropping and reapplying since I had a bad cycle but did not want to be left out in the cold. It was to good an offer to turn up, but still not my best offer. So ill be in this thread :mrgreen: Id like to also ask what effect it will have if you drop before you receive grades

Yea I was hoping I would get an acceptance before grades posted, but no such luck. However, I was also lucky enough to pull out a decent grade in contracts--even though I wanted to puke after the test I was so nervous...I still wonder. Would an adcomm think "man this guy is too much work"? I essentially promised to drop out during Spring semester from the PT program if I was admitted--regardless of money spent on tuition. I'll be interested to hear if anyone has any input on this..

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”