Permanent Legal Resident vs. U.S. Citizen

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cap10h

Permanent Legal Resident vs. U.S. Citizen

Postby cap10h » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:38 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew how my status as a permanent U.S. legal resident (i.e., green card holder) as opposed to a U.S. citizen would affect my admission prospects? I've lived in the States since I was a kid, but I won't be able to apply for full citizenship until late next year.

I know that I can still attend law school, I'm just wondering if U.S. citizens are given priority over U.S. residents, especially at T5s. If anyone has any insight and can share, I would be most grateful. Thanks.

starscripts

Re: Permanent Legal Resident vs. U.S. Citizen

Postby starscripts » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:42 pm

cap10h wrote:I was wondering if anyone knew how my status as a permanent U.S. legal resident (i.e., green card holder) as opposed to a U.S. citizen would affect my admission prospects? I've lived in the States since I was a kid, but I won't be able to apply for full citizenship until late next year.

I know that I can still attend law school, I'm just wondering if U.S. citizens are given priority over U.S. residents, especially at T5s. If anyone has any insight and can share, I would be most grateful. Thanks.

Nope, this shouldn't affect you at all. You still qualify for most of the same financial resources. Maybe you'll encounter some scholarships for USC only but other then that, being a green card holder entitles you to the same rights re: higher education as being a USC.

cap10h

Postby cap10h » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:44 pm

Great! I thought that was the case but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:01 pm

I'm a permanent resident and got admitted to 4 of the T6. I'm confident it made no difference to my cycle. I know one other permanent resident for whom it seemed to make no difference. There's no reason it should make a difference - you can get loans just like a citizen, etc.

It will, of course, make a difference come job time. There are a lot of 1L jobs you won't be able to apply for - anything in the federal government, in particular. You will also have difficulties clerking. Make sure you get citizenship as soon as you can.

cap10h

Postby cap10h » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:07 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:It will, of course, make a difference come job time. There are a lot of 1L jobs you won't be able to apply for - anything in the federal government, in particular. You will also have difficulties clerking. Make sure you get citizenship as soon as you can.

Makes sense - Thanks. Yes, I am applying for citizenship next October, but since I likely won't get sworn in before I submit my law school apps I wanted to check.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”