Should I send a LOCI before being waitinglisted?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Catherinelo365

Should I send a LOCI before being waitinglisted?

Postby Catherinelo365 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:23 pm

I sent my application to UPenn Law on Dec 10th. It's my top choice (aside from HYS) because of its location and many other reasons so I REALLY want to be admitted.
I didn't write a why essay (wrote a diversity statement instead) but I heard UPenn wants people who wrote a why Penn.
Should I send an email stating why I want to go to UPenn Law even though I haven't received any news from it?
My number: 172+3.83.

Another question, for additional essay (in my case, the diversity statement), UPenn said it shouldn't be more than one page or two (I don't remember exactly) in its instruction but I didn't see it so I submitted a two and a half page one (something way over the page limit). Does that mean that I just totally blowed it? :(

Thank you!

bombaysippin

Re: Should I send a LOCI before being waitinglisted?

Postby bombaysippin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:58 pm

Catherinelo365 wrote:I sent my application to UPenn Law on Dec 10th. It's my top choice (aside from HYS) because of its location and many other reasons so I REALLY want to be admitted.
I didn't write a why essay (wrote a diversity statement instead) but I heard UPenn wants people who wrote a why Penn.
Should I send an email stating why I want to go to UPenn Law even though I haven't received any news from it?

Another question, for additional essay (in my case, the diversity statement), UPenn said it shouldn't be more than one page or two (I don't remember exactly) in its instruction but I didn't see it so I submitted a two and a half page one (something way over the page limit). Does that mean that I just totally blowed it? :(

Thank you!

"Please limit any optional essay to one page, double spaced and title it appropriately."

You kinda went way over...

Catherinelo365

Postby Catherinelo365 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:50 am

Bajam wrote:
Catherinelo365 wrote:I sent my application to UPenn Law on Dec 10th. It's my top choice (aside from HYS) because of its location and many other reasons so I REALLY want to be admitted.

Thank you!

"Please limit any optional essay to one page, double spaced and title it appropriately."

You kinda went way over...

Yes so does that mean I'm just doomed... Sigh

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:56 am

I doubt the excessively long DS will hurt you. But without a "Why Penn?" submission of some sort, you might be headed for the WL. Write up an essay explaining why Penn is your top choice and send it in pronto.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:26 am

Paraphrasing answer from Spivey

Yes, send LOCI before WL decision
Not writing a WHY X statement is just lazy, and schools know when you have HYS stats and dont write those statements you are unlikely to yield, ending in your WL

Not being able to follow instructions is never good

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”