deleted

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thelawandbeyond

deleted

Postby thelawandbeyond » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:47 pm

deleted
Last edited by thelawandbeyond on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lupecuny2015

Re: Character & Fitness questions re: juvenile matters

Postby lupecuny2015 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:43 pm

What state is this application coming from?
Irrespective of that, I personally wouldn't disclose UNLESS it says specifically to disclose matters that have been expunged/sealed. If it doesn't say that I would feel comfortable not marking the yes choice because as a matter of law you do not have to report such matters unless otherwise asked to. However, many will probably say to disclose it nonetheless because disclosure is generally a better personal policy when it comes to LS applications. Additionally, I might even tell you to disclose it because it was so long ago and if your record has been pretty clean since it will likely be a blimp on the radar. If you do decide to disclose here is what you do; objectively state what happened in a condensed manner, take responsibility, and possibly state how you have changed since then/because of it. Whichever path you take you should be fine, but don't outright lie or blame anyone. As far as the bipolar in conjunction with the rest, you may very well be able to spin something in a positive light by using your bipolar disorder; especially if you can talk about how you have harnessed your inner strength in school through your disability. I have done something of the sort.

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:17 pm

I would suggest not disclosing the bipolar disorder if it's just a juvenile record. It seems that it might be more of a concern then troubled adolescent who is no longer an adolescent.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:44 pm

lupecuny2015 wrote:Irrespective of that, I personally wouldn't disclose UNLESS it says specifically to disclose matters that have been expunged/sealed. If it doesn't say that I would feel comfortable not marking the yes choice because as a matter of law you do not have to report such matters unless otherwise asked to.

This is bad advice and you should feel bad.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”