HLS Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cap10h

New

HLS

Post by cap10h » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:17 pm

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and I was hoping I could get some advice from all of you. Essentially, I want to get into HLS and I've been trying to work toward that goal for the last few years. I went to Florida State University and majored in political science and history. I graduate magan cum laude with a 3.8 GPA. I have been heavily involved in public policy research since my junior year of college and have even presented an individual research project at a major academic conference. I am currently in graduate school working on my Master's degree (also polisci and also at FSU). As I mentioned, I have worked on a lot of research and I currently have two papers that I will be submitting for publication at peer-reviewed polisci journals. Because of my involvement in research with professors, I have already secured letters of recommendation, one of which will be from my major professor who actually did a post-doctoral fellowship at HKS.

In addition to all the academic work, I have also been very involved in state politics, since FSU is located in Tallahassee (Florida's capital). I have worked as a legislative assistant for the League of Women Voters of Florida (a non-profit) and for the Florida Press Association (a professional association). Moreover, I am currently a member of current class of Florida Gubernatorial Fellows - a prestigious (in Florida) program that selects 10 graduate and law students from across the state and places them at a state agency to work and learn how state government works. Furthermore, as part of the Fellowship we have weekly meetings with top state leaders, such as agency heads and members of the governor's cabinet.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is that I've been trying to do everything in my power to stand out from my average classmate. I am fully aware that my degree is from a state school, which is not ideal when applying to top law schools. In terms of LSAT scores, I still have not taken it. I graduate with my M.S. this upcoming May and I plan on taking a year off working at a think thank, while studying for the LSAT and preparing my law school applications. So I'm applying to enter law school in the Fall of 2015. So my question is, do I have a real chance to get into HLS? Is there something you all recommend I do increase my chances? To be perfectly honest, I know that I could get into many law schools with my current credentials. Still, my plan is to either get into a top 5 law school, or just start my career... after all, I am about to have an advanced degree.

Any comments, recommendations, or advice will be greatly appreciated it. Thanks so much in advance.

Carlos P.
P.S. I forgot to mention I am Hispanic and the first member of my family to graduate college in the U.S. (I know some people say this helps).

Instinctive

Bronze

Re: HLS

Post by Instinctive » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Score high on the LSAT.

Study a lot for the LSAT, and score high.

It would help to score really high on the LSAT.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: HLS

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:28 pm

Only one thread per topic, please (am locking this one because I think the other forum is more appropriate).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”