"Untraditional" Background - Chances at T14 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ACTII

New

"Untraditional" Background - Chances at T14

Post by ACTII » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:55 am

I'll be graduating in May with a 3.4 in English, haven't taken the LSAT yet (I averaged a 171 on timed Preptests 65-70).

With that being said, I'm really at a crossroads as far as what I feel I should do at this point. I've been planning on taking a year off and applying to all T14s in the fall but I'm not sure how much of a chance I stand with my criminal record/educational history and am considering just taking the February LSAT and applying to a local T2 school that I feel I'm basically guaranteed in at.

Here's why:

I won't go into much detail (I'm not really looking to emphasize on my underprivileged background on my apps) but I had a tough upbringing and ultimately moved out on my own, not emancipated, at 16, because my mother is essentially a "hoarder" and is hopelessly addicted to prescription pain medications. I worked and was completely independent financially and split an apartment with two friends (I was able to do so because the lease was in their names) but ultimately missed so much school that due to school rules I automatically failed a class I needed to graduate and dropped out of high school (at the time I dropped out I was top 10 in the class) the second semester of senior year and ended up getting my GED shortly thereafter. During 2008-2009 (I was class of '08) I was arrested four times; driving without a license (honestly had no idea my license was suspended), failure to appear (computer glitch, I actually appeared at the court date and was released from jail when they realized the mistake after approximately 24 hours), a third time for open container, and finally public intoxication/disturbing the peace while I was at the beach. Moreover, I had a reckless driving ticket in 2007.

After the last arrest (around June 2009) I decided to turn my life around and enrolled at a regional university and after two years I was able to transfer to the state flagship university at which I've been on the Dean's List every consecutive semester. I haven't had so much as a speeding ticket over the last four years and I've had all of the offenses expunged from my record except the failure to appear (just haven't got around to it yet).

Would such a history completely bar my chances at a T14? If not, is there anything I can do during the gap year to improve my chances, such as community service, etc? Any input would be appreciated. I just don't want to take a year off and end up going to the same school that I otherwise would have. Look forward to any responses.
Last edited by ACTII on Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twenty

Gold

Re: "Untraditional" Background - Chances at T14

Post by twenty » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:02 am

Take the LSAT and come back. You're not a felon, so I don't think you're too screwed, though.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:07 am

ACTII wrote:Would such a history completely bar my chances at a T14?
No.

GULC student:
ATL wrote:Gersen’s [...] pleaded no contest to felony possession of ecstasy in California in 2009, and he was charged by San Francisco police with drug possession in 2010.
http://abovethelaw.com/2013/02/breaking ... h-dealing/

phillywc

Gold

Post by phillywc » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:31 pm

Agreed with those above. Could make a great PS if you write it carefully. Stress teh change, not how bad you were.

Nova, I dig your new posting style.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:33 pm

phillywc wrote:Nova, I dig your new posting style.
Thx bro

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ACTII

New

Post by ACTII » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Thanks for the responses. As far as WE goes, right now I'm working for a local firefighters union (a branch of the IFFA) as a salesman/fundraising rep. Basically, I call people/businesses within the city limits to sell fundraising tickets to various promotions that raise funds for things like a burn rehabilitation center for any local child that's been severely burned in a house fire, the "Fire Safety House on Wheels" that goes to all the local schools teaching fire safety, and other similar programs.

I'm wondering if my job would be considered "good" WE or whether I should look into something else for my gap year. I average about $16/hr with the bonus structure, which is basically double anything I've made hourly before, but I'm not so sure it would be considered favorable WE since it's basically telemarketing. Any thoughts?

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:12 pm

ACTII wrote:I'll be graduating in May with a 3.4 in English, haven't taken the LSAT yet (I averaged a 171 on timed Preptests 65-70).

With that being said, I'm really at a crossroads as far as what I feel I should do at this point. I've been planning on taking a year off and applying to all T14s in the fall but I'm not sure how much of a chance I stand with my criminal record/educational history and am considering just taking the February LSAT and applying to a local T2 school that I feel I'm basically guaranteed in at.

Here's why:

I won't go into much detail I was arrested four times; driving without a license, failure to appear, open container, and public intoxication, and disturbing the peace, and I had a reckless driving ticket in 2007.

Would such a history completely bar my chances at a T14?
Your record is not very bad. These are all violations from what I can see. Do you have any misdemeanors?

ACTII

New

Post by ACTII » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:45 pm

I believe all of my charges are misdemeanors. I think what is considered a misdemeanor or an "infraction" differs from state to state?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”