Graduate Degree in Economics

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spiegel.j

Graduate Degree in Economics

Postby spiegel.j » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:04 am

Hi... Soph in UG. My school offers a +1 program in economics where I can obtain a BS and MA in Econ in 5 years. I'm going to do the program no matter what you guys say because I love econ and my scholarship covers the program, but I was wondering if this helps/ doesn't help/ hurts chances in law school admissions or legal career? Also, would it push me in the direction of a particular branch of law, for example monopoly law or bankruptcy law? Thanks!

Philafaler

Re: Graduate Degree in Economics

Postby Philafaler » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:16 am

Last edited by Philafaler on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jttoplawschools93

Postby jttoplawschools93 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:18 am

as long as your undergrad grades are good i don't see why it would hurt, masters would be an extra soft, do good on the lsat and you're set

Philafaler

Postby Philafaler » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:18 am

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it. I don't really have any idea, but I would imagine it doesn't help your chances very much at all.

Postby 2014 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:44 am

spiegel.j wrote:I'm going to do the program no matter what you guys say because I love econ

I really enjoyed this part

It might help you in some law school courses where a law and econ approach is useful, but that's professor and course dependent and you will know way more than is necessary. It probably won't help you at all career wise.

mkhammel262

Postby mkhammel262 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:01 am

Antitrust Law requires a pretty fair understanding of economics. Other than that, meh.

redsox

Postby redsox » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:13 am

Any way you can do it in less than 5 years?

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:32 am

spiegel.j wrote:I was wondering if this helps/ doesn't help/ hurts chances in law school admissions

Its pretty much not a factor

spiegel.j

Postby spiegel.j » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:36 am

redsox wrote:Any way you can do it in less than 5 years?

Well sort of... I go to a school with Co-op so my current academic schedule has 6 semesters UG with 2 6-month Co-ops. So if I didn't do Co-op, I would finish UG in 3 years instead of 4 and my fourth year would just be MA courses. But I am going on Co-op, so the whole thing is 8 semesters over 5 years. Sorry if that isn't exactly clear.

spiegel.j

Postby spiegel.j » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:40 am

Nova wrote:
spiegel.j wrote:I was wondering if this helps/ doesn't help/ hurts chances in law school admissions

Is there any reason why not? I would think as AdCom that obtaining a graduate degree demonstrates maturity, devotion to education and ability to handle advanced, heavy coursework. Not that I know anything about it, but it just seems strange to me ig.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:47 am

spiegel.j wrote:
Nova wrote:

Is there any reason why not? I would think as AdCom that obtaining a graduate degree demonstrates maturity, devotion to education and ability to handle advanced, heavy coursework. Not that I know anything about it, but it just seems strange to me ig.

Because grad degrees do not affect USNWRankings

Further, grad degrees are generally not impressive

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:55 am

If it's 4+0 (i.e, you graduate from graduate school at the same time you graduate from undergrad) that's pretty cool.

As a graduate student myself, I'd be pretty cautious about getting a degree in a field you're not 100% committed to -- unfortunately, law and econ don't always tie in very well.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:03 am

spiegel.j wrote:
Nova wrote:

Grad school is usually cake (grade inflation runs rampant). Pretty much what Nova said. If you want to look mature, then it's best to just get a grown up job.

Whatever coursework you complete pre-law school won't lock you into any field because a law degree is pretty much just a general degree. I can't tell if that's what you were asking or not though.

spiegel.j

Postby spiegel.j » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:18 am

Nova wrote:
spiegel.j wrote:
Nova wrote:

Because grad degrees do not affect USNWRankings
Further, grad degrees are generally not impressive

Ok so I get that it isn't as important as GPA in UG since it doesn't count towards their stats and because there's grade inflation, but doesn't it still make a statement just like other softs might? Like PS and work experience don't count toward USNW rankings either but they still carry weight. From what I understand, grad school is more difficult than UG with a lot more writing and dense reading and for that reason alone, I don't understand why it is not an auto plus to an application.

Also thank you for all the awesome feedback and sorry if I am being annoying lol.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:30 am

Just because you think it's something that they should care about doesn't mean that they should care about it. You catch my drift?

Baring doing something or being someone exceptional, schools basically only care about LSAT/GPA for the reasons Nova mentioned.

Postby 2014 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:36 pm

spiegel.j wrote:
Ok so I get that it isn't as important as GPA in UG since it doesn't count towards their stats and because there's grade inflation, but doesn't it still make a statement just like other softs might? Like PS and work experience don't count toward USNW rankings either but they still carry weight. From what I understand, grad school is more difficult than UG with a lot more writing and dense reading and for that reason alone, I don't understand why it is not an auto plus to an application.

Also thank you for all the awesome feedback and sorry if I am being annoying lol.

Grad school classes are either not curved or curved higher so work wise it might be rigorous but GPAs tend to be high. It's a fine soft, some schools or adcomms might be into it, but they might be into say debate or habitat for humanity too, who knows. It's all a crap shoot and thus shouldn't play into your odds calculus.

The things that are not crap shoots are GPA, LSAT and URM status and then perhaps Rhodes scholars, Fulbrights, TFA, Peace Corps, military, doctorates, work experience in general, published authors, college athletes, hard science majors, and HYP undergrads. Those are all trumpeted here as "strong softs" but even then their impact is of varying minor degrees of tangibility.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”