Need advice regarding late applications and recommendations Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gucci Mane

Bronze

Need advice regarding late applications and recommendations

Post by Gucci Mane » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:39 pm

Hello everyone, I am facing a bit of a dilemma and would greatly appreciate any help.

I'm currently applying for law school for Fall 2013 and am still waiting on one letter of recommendation (and have been for about 4 months). I recently contacted the professor about it, and he just told me I could write it for him, then he would sign it. Problem is, he's on some study-trip with some MBA students, and won't be back until Jan 19th to sign the letter. That means I'd end up getting my applications in quite late (late January).

My other option would be to use a letter of recommendation I got from a former boss. The problem is, he let me read it, and it pretty much sucks. Its 2 paragraphs and doesn't even mention law school, its basically a generic template he uses for all his former employees. However, if I use this letter, I'd be able to get my applications in today.

Other information, I'm above medians for every school I'm applying to and am trying to "play it safe", but I don't know which would be the safer option here. I'm also hoping for serious scholarship dollars from a t14.

Thanks in advance

midwest17

Gold

Re: Need advice regarding late applications and recommendations

Post by midwest17 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:56 am

Are you applying to YHSCCN?

I don't know which of these options is better, if so. Do you really not have any profs you can ask for a letter who care enough to write one?

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:43 pm

I would try to get another letter of recommendation from someone else, preferably a professor. That would allow you to complete your apps, send them off to schools, and then you could update with your other LOR in late January.

Another option would be to write the letter for yourself and email it to the professor on the study-trip. I'm pretty sure he could submit it electronically to LSAC himself, and you'd be good to go after that.

I don't think you should use the crappy letter from your boss. Although LORs aren't very important for most schools (Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley are a few exceptions to this rule), really poor letters can hurt your chances. A majority of applicants will have somewhat generic glowing recs, so your boss' letter could make you stand out in a bad way.

leroyjenkins6969

New

Post by leroyjenkins6969 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:27 pm

Well, the professor would not have to physically sign the LOR if they are submitting it electronically. From what LSAC has told me, all they would have to do is check a box when submitting. Not sure if this helps, but if your professor has access to the internet, the letter can be submitted without a physical signature.

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:59 pm

leroyjenkins6969 wrote:Well, the professor would not have to physically sign the LOR if they are submitting it electronically. From what LSAC has told me, all they would have to do is check a box when submitting. Not sure if this helps, but if your professor has access to the internet, the letter can be submitted without a physical signature.
Is this verified? Both of my professors apologized that my letters would take a bit longer than they expected because they had to sign it and LSAC wouldn't accept scanned copies of their signed letters. Did they both just make the same mistake?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leroyjenkins6969

New

Post by leroyjenkins6969 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:03 pm

kershka wrote:
leroyjenkins6969 wrote:Well, the professor would not have to physically sign the LOR if they are submitting it electronically. From what LSAC has told me, all they would have to do is check a box when submitting. Not sure if this helps, but if your professor has access to the internet, the letter can be submitted without a physical signature.
Is this verified? Both of my professors apologized that my letters would take a bit longer than they expected because they had to sign it and LSAC wouldn't accept scanned copies of their signed letters. Did they both just make the same mistake?
It is info I gathered during a phone call with LSAC. I'm not sure if it is listed anywhere on their website. This issue was previously discussed in the following thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=219390

kershka

Silver

Post by kershka » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:14 pm

leroyjenkins6969 wrote:
kershka wrote:
It is info I gathered during a phone call with LSAC. I'm not sure if it is listed anywhere on their website. This issue was previously discussed in the following thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=219390
Huh. Interesting. Thanks! I guess they probably tried to submit a PDF instead of one of the supported document types.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:09 pm

kershka wrote:
As others have said, they don't need to sign them if they upload them. I've written several; I've signed none.

Gucci Mane

Bronze

Post by Gucci Mane » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:26 pm

Appreciate the tip. I will send my professor the letter and try to get him to upload it without a signature.

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:07 am

It takes all of two minutes to make an account, upload a letter, and submit it. And that's if you're being slow about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”