One school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jhbyrne

One school

Postby jhbyrne » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:14 pm

I have looked at many law schools and really only found one that I was excited to apply to. Currently, I plan to apply to their evening division after the February LSAT. I am also up for a full time entry level position at the University as well. In short - I'm really not interested in going anywhere else. My issue is that I will likely be a splitter... I had a slow start to college and worked full time through my entire degree (GPA is lower than their 25%), but I've taken two LSAT courses and so far I have been doing very well (I have been scoring above 170 consistently on practice tests).... Would it be a bad decision to only apply to this law school?

Steveloblaw

Re: One school

Postby Steveloblaw » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:19 pm

You're probably going to have to tell us what the law school is. And this thread should be in the Choosing a Law School Forum

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:22 pm

depends how bad you want to go to law school this year. Cause with a gpa under the 25th you may not get in your top choice

what school is it?

notalobbyist

Postby notalobbyist » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:28 pm

Probably.

It depends on what school youre talking about, your goals, cost of attendance, and final LSAT score.

jhbyrne

Postby jhbyrne » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum section! My mistake. CUA in DC.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Not worth it

for the class of 2012, only about a third of grads became lawyers
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars
Last edited by Nova on Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhbyrne

Postby jhbyrne » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:39 pm

Oh wow... That's pretty horrible haha... looks like I have to put more thought into this..

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:43 pm

jhbyrne wrote:Oh wow... That's pretty horrible haha... looks like I have to put more thought into this..

Congrats on being willing to see reality. I don't mean this in a negative way, most people ignore this stuff because it conflicts with what they may think. You are on the right path, this fourm can help you get ther.e

jhbyrne

Postby jhbyrne » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Well, thanks. haha. I actually have a few more (admissions) questions...

- A GPA addendum is more or less useless, correct? I would assume that, no matter what the reason for a low GPA, law schools do not want to admit a candidate that may bring their numbers down, right? (I'm considering adding one because I worked in a busy fire department for the last few years of my undergrad, the three semesters that I struggled in school were following a close friend's LODD)
- After I got back on track I tried to take on opportunities to reaffirm my commitement to academics (volunteered as a tutor and note taker for students w/ disabilities at my college, wrote a thesis, took a graduate level course, etc). If I chose to apply to a better school than catholic, would including these things in my personal statement be helpful in offsetting that GPA? In addition, would strong LOR's be helpful as well? Or is my only opportunity here to do very very well on the LSAT?
- Lastly, Would earning a masters help me in being admitted to a law school a few years down the road? Or would a masters be considered a soft factor?

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:07 pm

jhbyrne wrote:- A GPA addendum is more or less useless, correct?

- Would earning a masters help me in being admitted to a law school a few years down the road?

yes

no

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:47 pm

If you really score 170+ on the LSAT, you should aim much higher than CUA. Why is GULC not a possibility? I know they have an evening program.

jhbyrne

Postby jhbyrne » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:11 pm

My concern about applying to better schools (I would kill to go to gulc, literally... kill.), at this point in time, is that my GPA will be too low (I graduated with just over a 3.0, but my LSAC gpa is in the neighborhood of 2.5).

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:21 pm

GULC and GW will strongly consider you if you are at/above their LSAT medians

Especially for PT

d cooper

Postby d cooper » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:26 pm

Nova wrote:GULC and GW will strongly consider you if you are at/above their LSAT medians

Especially for PT

+1

Much better options for DC.

To address your original question, OP: you should always apply to peer schools, even if you have no intention of attending. Gaining admission to multiple schools will allow you to negotiate scholarship with your top choice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”