How many letters of recommendation?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bisanch
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:19 pm

How many letters of recommendation?

Postby bisanch » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Should I submit only the required number of letters?

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: How many letters of recommendation?

Postby CookieDough » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:32 pm

Depends on what LORs you have. Two strong ones are better than four mediocre ones.

bisanch
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: How many letters of recommendation?

Postby bisanch » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:36 pm

That's the thing. I can't accurately gauge how strong the two of the three recommendations are. I know for sure that the first one is stronger than the other two, but I can't decide which of the leftover two to pick.

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: How many letters of recommendation?

Postby CookieDough » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:37 pm

Who are the other two from?

bisanch
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: How many letters of recommendation?

Postby bisanch » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:42 pm

All three are from professors.

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: How many letters of recommendation?

Postby CookieDough » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Are you still in UG? Basically I'm trying to figure out who you have the better relationship with. What were their reactions when you asked them for the recommendations?

User avatar
midnight_circus
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:36 am

Re: How many letters of recommendation?

Postby midnight_circus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:02 pm

If you honestly can't determine which of the other two is better, send both. Unless the school only permits 2, then either pick a reasonable metric or flip a coin.

bisanch
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: How many letters of recommendation?

Postby bisanch » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:15 pm

CookieDough wrote:Are you still in UG? Basically I'm trying to figure out who you have the better relationship with. What were their reactions when you asked them for the recommendations?


Yes. They were both glad to write me one. I asked one of the professors right after the semester ended, two and a half weeks ago. The other, I asked last summer.

bisanch
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: How many letters of recommendation?

Postby bisanch » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:15 pm

midnight_circus wrote:If you honestly can't determine which of the other two is better, send both. Unless the school only permits 2, then either pick a reasonable metric or flip a coin.


So, sending in more than the "required" number of letters won't be detrimental?

User avatar
midnight_circus
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:36 am

Re: How many letters of recommendation?

Postby midnight_circus » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:19 pm

bisanch wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:If you honestly can't determine which of the other two is better, send both. Unless the school only permits 2, then either pick a reasonable metric or flip a coin.


So, sending in more than the "required" number of letters won't be detrimental?


Not if it's reasonable--e.g., don't send in 7. As Spivey said, if you send additional letters the worst that can happen is that they don't get read.
Sending more than their maximum would be detrimental, however. Follow directions.

bisanch
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: How many letters of recommendation?

Postby bisanch » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:27 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
bisanch wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:If you honestly can't determine which of the other two is better, send both. Unless the school only permits 2, then either pick a reasonable metric or flip a coin.


So, sending in more than the "required" number of letters won't be detrimental?


Not if it's reasonable--e.g., don't send in 7. As Spivey said, if you send additional letters the worst that can happen is that they don't get read.
Sending more than their maximum would be detrimental, however. Follow directions.


Understood. Thank you. I'll be sending in all three.

User avatar
CookieDough
Posts: 404
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: How many letters of recommendation?

Postby CookieDough » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:36 pm

bisanch wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:
bisanch wrote:
midnight_circus wrote:If you honestly can't determine which of the other two is better, send both. Unless the school only permits 2, then either pick a reasonable metric or flip a coin.


So, sending in more than the "required" number of letters won't be detrimental?


Not if it's reasonable--e.g., don't send in 7. As Spivey said, if you send additional letters the worst that can happen is that they don't get read.
Sending more than their maximum would be detrimental, however. Follow directions.


Understood. Thank you. I'll be sending in all three.


Sounds like the right call. Good luck!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], chili_davis and 8 guests