LOCIs: talk about yourself, or talk about the law school?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IgosduIkana

LOCIs: talk about yourself, or talk about the law school?

Postby IgosduIkana » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:17 pm

Are you trying to convince the school that you're awesome enough to attend, or telling the school why they are so awesome for you?

muskies970

Re: LOCIs: talk about yourself, or talk about the law school?

Postby muskies970 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:28 pm

A little of both, but obviously you don't want to come off as a braggart or brown noser. If you're really interested you should probably visit the school and set up a meeting with admissions officer(s) if possible.

usernotfound

Postby usernotfound » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:08 pm

muskies970 wrote:A little of both, but obviously you don't want to come off as a braggart or brown noser. If you're really interested you should probably visit the school and set up a meeting with admissions officer(s) if possible.

Agree with this. Talk about what the law school would gain by having you as a member of that class, but stray from being arrogant. Additionally, talk about your career goals or what interests you in law school, and relate it to that school. You can always mention professors or how the location is good. Little things like that help sometimes, but don't make it a primary focus.

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:06 pm

usernotfound wrote:
muskies970 wrote:A little of both, but obviously you don't want to come off as a braggart or brown noser. If you're really interested you should probably visit the school and set up a meeting with admissions officer(s) if possible.

Agree with this. Talk about what the law school would gain by having you as a member of that class, but stray from being arrogant. Additionally, talk about your career goals or what interests you in law school, and relate it to that school. You can always mention professors or how the location is good. Little things like that help sometimes, but don't make it a primary focus.

Terrific advice, thanks folks. I'm riding two wait lists at schools I'm super interested in attending. I will be writing one about the school soon, and another about a visit right after I visit in February. Thanks again and good luck if you're applying this cycle!

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:12 pm

its early for a loci btw..

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”