Application: examples of writing

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
drawstring

Application: examples of writing

Postby drawstring » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:33 am

One of my applications had a section to list theses or papers done under someone's supervision. I've written many papers but not any that fit this description, so I left the section blank. Now I'm thinking that I should've listed papers I've done for classes anyway, even if they don't fit the description above. Is it worth sending an email to admissions with a list of some of the papers I've written? I'm currently getting the silent treatment from the school even though my numbers are very competitive there. I'm also a K-JD, so I'm worried that they'll think a lack of papers suggests a lack of preparation for law school.

rinkrat19

Re: Application: examples of writing

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:48 am

If these "papers" you're thinking about sending are just typical undergrad 5-10 page things, don't bother. If it's an honors thesis or something, maybe. If it's an actual original research paper or a graduate thesis, sure.

Plenty of people apply to law school without having written anything significant.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:58 am

I've done papers up to around 40 pages in length, but they weren't theses or done under supervision; they were essentially typical undergrad papers that I worked far more on than was required because I enjoyed doing so. Would this fall in the maybe category?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:05 am

drawstring wrote:I've done papers up to around 40 pages in length, but they weren't theses or done under supervision; they were essentially typical undergrad papers that I worked far more on than was required because I enjoyed doing so. Would this fall in the maybe category?

Unlikely.

Obesekittenlover

Postby Obesekittenlover » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:20 am

The point of that question is to reward old people who have more academic/research experience than to punish undergrads who didn't do a senior thesis. Telling them that you ignored page counts and turned in 40 page papers for your undergrad lecture course is not going to help.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:44 pm

drawstring wrote:One of my applications

Harvard

drawstring wrote:had a section to list theses or papers done under someone's supervision. I've written many papers but not any that fit this description, so I left the section blank. Now I'm thinking that I should've listed papers I've done for classes anyway, even if they don't fit the description above. Is it worth sending an email to admissions with a list of some of the papers I've written? I'm currently getting the silent treatment from the school even though my numbers are very competitive there. I'm also a K-JD, so I'm worried that they'll think a lack of papers suggests a lack of preparation for law school.

It's fine to leave that blank.

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:52 pm

midwest17 wrote:
drawstring wrote:One of my applications

Harvard

kershka

Postby kershka » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:52 pm

If this is about Harvard then I think you are fine to leave it blank. It is probably better to follow the directions closely (i.e. a paper with multiple revisions under guidance) than fill in that section. Personally, I put in senior theses and honors theses which fulfilled those requirements. I left off long papers which were just completed as part of a course. However, I am a K-JD with no actually publications and average softs and I was still admitted.

tl;dr don't sweat it and only send in an update if it actually matches the specific conditions listed in the application.

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Thanks for the advice

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”