1L summer internship rate

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawcracker

1L summer internship rate

Postby lawcracker » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Dear everyone,
I know the summer internship after the first year has a direct impact on employment after graduation. I would like to enquire one school--Kent College of Law because it has offered an intriguing scholarship.
So, how is the rate of students who get employed in the summer after the first year?
Thank you very much for your kind information and comment!

isuperserial

Re: 1L summer internship rate

Postby isuperserial » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:50 pm

lawcracker wrote:Dear everyone,
I know the summer internship after the first year has a direct impact on employment after graduation. I would like to enquire one school--Kent College of Law because it has offered an intriguing scholarship.
So, how is the rate of students who get employed in the summer after the first year?

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=chicago-kent

That will give you all you most of what you need to know about employment. For Kent it's not super. And don't pay too much attention to how many people get employed during the summer, because I interned at a Public Defenders office as an undergrad and I was interning with a lot of people from nearby law schools that were doing the same shit that I was doing for credit and whatnot. Rather focus on the type of internships or summer jobs they have, because anyone can volunteer their summer, that's not special.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:28 am

isuperserial wrote:

That will give you all you most of what you need to know about employment. For Kent it's not super. And don't pay too much attention to how many people get employed during the summer, because I interned at a Public Defenders office as an undergrad and I was interning with a lot of people from nearby law schools that were doing the same shit that I was doing for credit and whatnot. Rather focus on the type of internships or summer jobs they have, because anyone can volunteer their summer, that's not special.

Don't assume that a PD summer internship is a bad outcome. It's desirable for people who want to end up in a PD's office after law school.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:52 am

Summer employment after your first year of law school doesn't actually have much of an impact on employment after graduation. You just need to do something law-related, and since most people do unpaid work, and most employers are happy to take volunteers, it's not hard to find something to do. That doesn't translate into employment after graduation. (Employment during your 2L summer can have a huge impact on employment after graduation, but even then, there's plenty of work available that doesn't turn into employment after graduation, so the percentage of students actually working doesn't tell you much.)

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:05 am

midwest17 wrote:
isuperserial wrote:

Don't assume that a PD summer internship is a bad outcome. It's desirable for people who want to end up in a PD's office after law school.

Of course not! I learned a ton, and from my experience with the law students they learned a lot too. My point was more that learning the percentage of students with internships in the summer after their first year isn't going to tell you anything useful.

Postby 20141023 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:40 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:16 am

retake

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”