ED - Round I vs Round II, what's the perception?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tlsthrowaway

ED - Round I vs Round II, what's the perception?

Postby tlsthrowaway » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:38 pm

What's the deal with having multiple ED rounds? I'm asking specifically from the perspective of a splitter. I feel like a lot of us use ED to boost our chances at a school where we might be borderline (not gonna get into whether or not the boost is real--elterrible did that for us all!).

What's the deal with round 2 ED? if the boost is real, does this carry over to round 2? How to admissions officers view people who use round 2? I feel like they could either look at it exactly the same, or they could be like, "oh, round 2? Dude/dudette clearly got dinged at their first choice ED". Or, they might just think you applied late and didn't have your act together.

Plus, only a few schools have it, so it's not like it's some universally helpful thing. Anyone able to shed some light on how round 2 EDs are treated/viewed?

Many thanks!

tigersaresexy

Re: ED - Round I vs Round II, what's the perception?

Postby tigersaresexy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:16 pm

You probably have less leverage at ED2. In ED1 you get the advantage of applying before the pack, in ED2, you're competing with the RD applicants as well and your splitter numbers may not be as attractive.

I'm a splitter too, I did some research into this. I remember reading somewhere that an ED2 boost is almost non existent..I don't have a source for that though so take it as you will.

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:54 pm

tigersaresexy wrote:You probably have less leverage at ED2. In ED1 you get the advantage of applying before the pack, in ED2, you're competing with the RD applicants as well and your splitter numbers may not be as attractive.

I'm a splitter too, I did some research into this. I remember reading somewhere that an ED2 boost is almost non existent..I don't have a source for that though so take it as you will.

I think it depends on how early you send in your ED2 app. Cornell, of example, accepted ED2 apps on November 15. I think if you sent your app around that time you'd still be considered in the same light as an ED1. I think the answer to this question is probably school-specific, but whether or not you're ED1 or ED2, I highly doubt that it matters significantly as you've still committed yourself to going to that school if admitted. With the kind of numbers that the school wants, you're still getting in regardless of when you apply.

tlsthrowaway

Postby tlsthrowaway » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:05 pm

well, I am a splitter who got dinged at my first choice (ed) and then sent in a rd.2 ED later that day. So it was definitely about halfway through the rd.2 ED cycle, not at all on the first day.

Guess we will have to see. but the general impression I'm getting is that round 2 ED is for suckers, and one probably should just apply rd at that point...

altoid99

Postby altoid99 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:08 pm

tlsthrowaway wrote:well, I am a splitter who got dinged at my first choice (ed) and then sent in a rd.2 ED later that day. So it was definitely about halfway through the rd.2 ED cycle, not at all on the first day.

Guess we will have to see. but the general impression I'm getting is that round 2 ED is for suckers, and one probably should just apply rd at that point...

I think the whole point of ED2 is the scoop up rejects with high numbers from ED1 and high scorers from the December LSAT who otherwise couldn't apply ED. Why else would schools have them? It's not the same as RD at all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”