Possible negative LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Yazzzay

Possible negative LOR?

Postby Yazzzay » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:49 am

Hey guys,

So last year I applied to schools with a very poor LSAT score. One of my teachers wrote a rec showed me parts of it, his idea, and it was all very positive, except near the end he wrote something along the lines of "she's a strong student despite her poor test score".

I'm reapplying this year, new LSAT score, expecting at least 10 points higher, definitely not a terrible score anymore. Is this rec going to look bad because it says that? or will law schools understand it was talking about the original score?

Thanks for the feedback.

WaltGrace83

Re: Possible negative LOR?

Postby WaltGrace83 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:16 am

Can't you just get in contact with the professor and ask her if she would update it when you receive that new test score?

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:24 am

^Yeah, let the prof know you did much better and ask for them to amend the original one

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:54 am

I graduated and haven't talked to my profs since May...but I bit the bullet and just emailed that one so hopefully he can redo it for me. Thanks for the feedback!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Yazzzay wrote:So last year I applied to schools with a very poor LSAT score. One of my teachers wrote a rec showed me parts of it, his idea, and it was all very positive, except near the end he wrote something along the lines of "she's a strong student despite her poor test score".

For those in the future reading this, if you know your professor wrote something like this, have them cut it out. It's not something you want in your LoR.

As others have said, OP, just get in touch and have him update it.

Yazzzay

Postby Yazzzay » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:13 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Yazzzay wrote:So last year I applied to schools with a very poor LSAT score. One of my teachers wrote a rec showed me parts of it, his idea, and it was all very positive, except near the end he wrote something along the lines of "she's a strong student despite her poor test score".

For those in the future reading this, if you know your professor wrote something like this, have them cut it out. It's not something you want in your LoR.

As others have said, OP, just get in touch and have him update it.

Thanks, I think I agree with this...at the time I was really confused by a shitty score and wanted anything to explain it. But the rec probably didn't add anything, so was unnecessary.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”