Need advice for job during Gap year

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
A.Taarabt7

Re: Need advice for job during Gap year

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:44 am

mr. wednesday wrote:VISTA is essentially a category of jobs that are funded for certain qualifying projects. You don't apply to 'VISTA,' you apply to a specific job that's been funded by VISTA. How selective that job is, and what it is like, is pretty dependent on the organization you are actually working at, not the VISTA program.

Which makes OP's situation more confusing, because he would have had to apply, interview for and accept this job knowing what it paid, where it was located, how cold it got there, that his family didn't live there, etc. He'd also know what kind of work it was, since you are applying for a specific job, not a slot in a national program.

I was naive. I thought I was going into someplace organized. I didn't realize I was going to be given a manager that would make my life hell, that this region of America is cold from October to May, and just how much I would miss where I am from. Im lonely as hell out here. I can't go out because its so cold. Streets are empty. VISTA isn't what its cracked up to be.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:47 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:How many hours do you work a week OP?

and to answer your earlier question it depends on the organization and where its located. The ones in Montana or Alaska are probably shoe ins. The ones in NYC or Chicago not so much.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:01 am

Is this real?

14G

Postby 14G » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:09 am

midwest17 wrote:Is this real?

I sure hope not. As someone currently spending the holidays in Afghanistan, this whole thread is pretty lol.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:07 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:How many hours do you work a week OP?

and to answer your earlier question it depends on the organization and where its located. The ones in Montana or Alaska are probably shoe ins. The ones in NYC or Chicago not so much.

How about you not work a job and enjoy life during your gap year?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”