Question about adcoms seeing seat deposit for other schools.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bound

Question about adcoms seeing seat deposit for other schools.

Postby bound » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:01 pm

Kind of stupid question, but can other schools see if you have submitted a seat deposit at another school?

I had to submit a seat deposit at one of my safety schools because my scholarship required it.

I'm worried that the adcoms at my top schools will see that I've submitted my deposit elsewhere and reject me for it. Anyone else hear of something like this or know what happens in this case?
Last edited by bound on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

berndie90

Re: Question about adcoms seeing seat deposit for other schools.

Postby berndie90 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:03 pm

As far as I know, the schools do not see the deposits for individual schools with names and LSAC numbers attached until the May report from LSAC. At that time, they can see your multiple deposits, however.

bound

Postby bound » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:05 pm

berndie90 wrote:As far as I know, the schools do not see the deposits for individual schools with names and LSAC numbers attached until the May report from LSAC. At that time, they can see your multiple deposits, however.

Thank you thank you thank you for the quick response!

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:53 pm

LSAC wrote:Except under binding early decision plans or for academic terms beginning in the spring or summer, no law school should require an enrollment commitment of any kind to an offer of admission or scholarship prior to April 1. Admitted applicants who have submitted a timely financial aid application should not be required to commit to enroll by having to make a nonrefundable financial commitment until notified of financial aid awards that are within control of the law school.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:56 pm

ltrego wrote:
LSAC wrote:Except under binding early decision plans or for academic terms beginning in the spring or summer, no law school should require an enrollment commitment of any kind to an offer of admission or scholarship prior to April 1. Admitted applicants who have submitted a timely financial aid application should not be required to commit to enroll by having to make a nonrefundable financial commitment until notified of financial aid awards that are within control of the law school.

I was going to post this as well. OP, you need to talk to the school and make sure you understood the terms correctly.

bound

Postby bound » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Well sheeeeeesh looks like I have some phone calls to make.

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:44 pm

You guys beat me to BOTH the points I was going to make! (All I can add is that only schools who share their own list of deposits get to see if those people deposited other places. A lot of schools wait until much later in the summer to participate for fear of having higher ranked schools pick off their deposit-paid people.)

It was already slow in the office, now I feel even more useless. :p

Dean Perez

bound

Postby bound » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:22 pm

SPerez wrote:You guys beat me to BOTH the points I was going to make! (All I can add is that only schools who share their own list of deposits get to see if those people deposited other places. A lot of schools wait until much later in the summer to participate for fear of having higher ranked schools pick off their deposit-paid people.)

It was already slow in the office, now I feel even more useless. :p

Dean Perez

Cool! Thank you for the response Dean Perez :)

TigerDude

Postby TigerDude » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:57 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”