what should my resume look like??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thevuch

what should my resume look like??

Postby thevuch » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:24 pm

so recent loss of files on a particular computer has resulted in me losing my resume. i understand how it should be formatted. i guess my question is exactly what should go on it, my academic achievements, extracurricular involvement in UG, and internships ive done? see because i have had like 15 shit jobs you know. CVS, moving company, construction, landscaping, tuesday morning, pizza hut... i mean do you think thats important? its just a problem because i dont remember exact dates or who my supervisor was.... do you think id be good including only the jobs i had for long periods of time (theres 3)? and the academic stuff. or could all those shit jobs be worth putting on there because theyll help? thanks much

dap2

Re: what should my resume look like??

Postby dap2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Some schools require you to put all of your past jobs. If that is the case, you will have to put them all.

If they don't require it, maybe stick with only particularly relevant or long term jobs. I had a similar problem and I just combined a bunch of jobs in an entry that said "Various Service Experience." You could also just put a bullet under your undergrad school that says something like "worked XX hours per week to pay living expenses." That gets across that you are a hard worker, without having to put all of the irrelevant jobs or take up space.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:44 am

thevuch wrote:so recent loss of files on a particular computer has resulted in me losing my resume. i understand how it should be formatted. i guess my question is exactly what should go on it, my academic achievements, extracurricular involvement in UG, and internships ive done? see because i have had like 15 shit jobs you know. CVS, moving company, construction, landscaping, tuesday morning, pizza hut... i mean do you think thats important? its just a problem because i dont remember exact dates or who my supervisor was.... do you think id be good including only the jobs i had for long periods of time (theres 3)? and the academic stuff. or could all those shit jobs be worth putting on there because theyll help? thanks much

Regarding the jobs, if the school requires all jobs to be listed, then you know what to do. If not, only include the ones that help write the narrative you want of yourself as an applicant. Then include your academic and extracurricular (including interesting hobbies and interests).

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:00 pm

We don't specify, but my advice to list anything and everything you can fit in the space they specify. Rule of thumb is no "accomplishments" or awards pre-college, but I don't mind seeing work from high school.

You never know what an adcom will consider "relevant". For example, I would read a string of manual labor jobs like you listed to mean the applicant knows how to hustle and work hard, likely isn't going to come to law school with a sense of entitlement and will continue to work hard. I've heard from both career services people and hiring people that law students with a work history are more successful in the hiring process (presumably b/c they know how to present themselves in interview situations).

Don't worry about listing supervisors, no one cares. Unless specifically requested, exact dates aren't that important. You can get away with month/year.

To save space, you don't have to include a narrative explanation of your responsibilities for every job. People know what a fast-food line person, a landscaper, a mover, etc. does. Unless you did something more/different than your position suggests, you don't need to explain.

Oh, and Dropbox. If you think losing a resume is annoying, try an entire semester's worth of class notes and outlines. Happens to someone every semester.

Dean Perez

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:52 pm

http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/care ... index.html

Left side has layout tips and sample resumes. For law students, not applicants, but still wildly helpful.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”