NYU Scholarship Boost?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
girlmonster

NYU Scholarship Boost?

Postby girlmonster » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Hey y'all,

I'm about to submit my NYU application (finally), but I've been struggling with my AnBryce essay. My job is killing me right now, so it's hard for me to write something I'm really proud of. I don't want to wait much longer to submit, so I'm strongly considering submitting without. However, I've seen a couple posts from people who mentioned that they applied for scholarships because they felt it would boost their application. Is there any truth to this? I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons right now.

Basically, does applying for a scholarship at NYU confer any boost to one's application?

Thanks!

SonlenNightfall

Re: NYU Scholarship Boost?

Postby SonlenNightfall » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:57 pm

girlmonster wrote:Hey y'all,

I'm about to submit my NYU application (finally), but I've been struggling with my AnBryce essay. My job is killing me right now, so it's hard for me to write something I'm really proud of. I don't want to wait much longer to submit, so I'm strongly considering submitting without. However, I've seen a couple posts from people who mentioned that they applied for scholarships because they felt it would boost their application. Is there any truth to this? I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons right now.

Basically, does applying for a scholarship at NYU confer any boost to one's application?

Thanks!

I had this same worry, and chose not to write any of the essays. I applied to NYU on 12/09 and didn't apply for any of the scholarships. My LSAT is >75th and my GPA is <25th of their median, and I got in. If your main concern is getting in and your numbers are similar, I would just apply now. Writing an essay you aren't proud of for a scholarship you don't seem to expect to get just to increase your general admissions chances doesn't seem to be the way to go. Make an application that you are proud of, where all parts of it are solid and well written, and you will give yourself a good shot. I can't give you any definitive answer as to what will happen (especially if your numbers are not similar to mine) but get your proverbial hat in the ring as soon as possible.

They can't choose you if they don't yet know you are interested.

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:12 pm

Thank you very much! My LSAT is at the 75th, and my GPA is almost exactly at the 25th. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and submit (especially since the admissions committee can read the scholarship essay as well, and I don't want them to judge me by a weak writing sample).

famousblueraincoat

Postby famousblueraincoat » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:45 pm

If you aren't writing a separate essay for the AnBryce, make sure that your PS addresses the scholarship-specific prompt. From NYU's website:

Applicants should submit a one-page essay (500-750 words) with the J.D. application that discusses the circumstances surrounding the challenges they have encountered in their lives that qualify them to be a recipient of this scholarship. Applicants should be sure to address how they have embodied the attributes of an AnBryce Scholar in overcoming personal obstacles, and how their legal education will enable them to promote the ideals underlying the program in their career.

Many people don't mention the above in their PS.

I remember reading somewhere that applicants can elect to have their personal statements considered for scholarship purposes provided that they address what both committees are looking for. But don't quote me on that as I cannot find the source atm.

Good luck! :P

girlmonster

Postby girlmonster » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:38 pm

famousblueraincoat wrote:I remember reading somewhere that applicants can elect to have their personal statements considered for scholarship purposes provided that they address what both committees are looking for. But don't quote me on that as I cannot find the source atm.

Good luck! :P

Thank you! The PS substitution is allowed for the RTK, I believe, but the AnBryce page does not say that it is permitted. I even called the admissions office to see if the scholarship committee would have access to my PS and DS, as I didn't want to be repetitive. The person I spoke with didn't seem to understand what I was asking. After a few minutes of explaining my question, she suggested that it may be okay for me to reference my PS and DS in the AnBryce essay, but sounded very unsure.

Good luck to you as well!

cavalier2015

Postby cavalier2015 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:04 pm

girlmonster wrote:Thank you very much! My LSAT is at the 75th, and my GPA is almost exactly at the 25th. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and submit (especially since the admissions committee can read the scholarship essay as well, and I don't want them to judge me by a weak writing sample).

i'm sorry if this is a bit irrelevant but do you think numbers such as those have historically been given scholarship money/ or even acceptance at NYU? i'm not trying to sound mean but i am curious as my numbers will (hopefully with a good LSAT) land in the same range as yours and am gauging if NYU is worth an app.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:16 pm

cavalier2015 wrote:
girlmonster wrote:Thank you very much! My LSAT is at the 75th, and my GPA is almost exactly at the 25th. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and submit (especially since the admissions committee can read the scholarship essay as well, and I don't want them to judge me by a weak writing sample).

i'm sorry if this is a bit irrelevant but do you think numbers such as those have historically been given scholarship money/ or even acceptance at NYU? i'm not trying to sound mean but i am curious as my numbers will (hopefully with a good LSAT) land in the same range as yours and am gauging if NYU is worth an app.

enjoy http://mylsn.info/dispresults.php

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”