Possible to request being considered for JD/MBA later?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
outlawscr10

Possible to request being considered for JD/MBA later?

Postby outlawscr10 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:27 pm

Anyone ever hear of a situation where someone requested to be considered for the JD/MBA program after being accepted to the JD program?

The Dark Kite

Re: Possible to request being considered for JD/MBA later?

Postby The Dark Kite » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:44 pm

Most of the time, whether you indicate an interest in the JD/MBA on your app or not, it bears no relevance to anything. They'll just send you additional info on it. You usually have to apply to both schools separately. You can take the GMAT and apply now... or during your first year. But you should follow up with whichever school you're attending to make sure.

outlawscr10

Postby outlawscr10 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:58 pm

The Dark Kite wrote:Most of the time, whether you indicate an interest in the JD/MBA on your app or not, it bears no relevance to anything. They'll just send you additional info on it. You usually have to apply to both schools separately. You can take the GMAT and apply now... or during your first year. But you should follow up with whichever school you're attending to make sure.

Great! Thanks!

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:54 pm

some schools waive requirements. go talk to your dean for academic affairs. s/he'll be able to tell you about the specifics, but you should be able to get the gears in motion during 1L. i almost did (was considering graduate work in another area), but it was too much of a burden for too little of a benefit. i'll save that for later, i guess

ltrego

Postby ltrego » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:24 pm

I don't know specifically about JD/MBA programs, but I'm applying to JD/MA programs, and it seems most joint degree programs work similarly. All of those I've seen have had the student doing coursework exclusively in the JD program for 1L and then splitting time between the two programs for the remaining years. They allow you to either apply concurrently or apply to the secondary program during 1L.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:29 pm

At NU, JDs can apply to get into the JD/MBA program after fall term 1L grades are in. The first year is the same anyway.

esypsylmnsqsy

Postby esypsylmnsqsy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 am

IIRC at NYU you can apply for the JD/MBA program during the first or second year (it is a 4 year program unlike NU). Different schools be different so you have to check.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”