Chances at Ivy League?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kitty1990

Chances at Ivy League?

Postby kitty1990 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Hey folks!! Could use your opinions for chances at admission into a T14 school.

My husband is interested in going to law school. He has an undergrad degree in engineering at 3.6 GPA and a masters degree in optics (physics specialty) at a 3.75 GPA. He has been working at a top tech company for 4 years now, and will have 7 years at this company by the application cycle. He wants to do patent law. Also, he is an underrepresented minority.

What are his chances at top schools, namely Cal, Stanford, Harvard, Yale? What should his target LSAT be? (He has a couple years to get the LSAT score he wants, so any advice on how to do that is welcome too).

kwais

Re: Chances at Ivy League?

Postby kwais » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:24 pm

His target score should be a 180 to secure all options and scholarships. Realistically though, if his URM status, 3.6 gpa and science background are legit, I would think the mid-high 160's would snag a few T6 schools and maybe one of HYS. Perhaps the GPA will be trouble at the California schools.

SonlenNightfall

Postby SonlenNightfall » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Hello Kitty,

Look at --LinkRemoved-- and http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ to get a better idea of what number combinations (GPA and LSAT) your husband would need to attend top schools. As an underrepresented minority, his numbers could even be on the slightly lower than expected.

However, since it sounds like your husband will not attend school for a few years, there is little prediction that we can make based on current admissions trends. The law school landscape right now is quite volatile and it is difficult to imagine what it will be like in a few years.

Right now the best course of action is not for him to aim for a specific score, but just to begin studying the LSAT. This website has many great resources over at http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=6. Have him begin by utilizing the guides and discussions in there. That discussion will help him understand what other books or tests to buy in preparation.

Hope that helps.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:34 pm

What kind of URM?

kitty1990 wrote:What are his chances at top schools, namely Cal, Stanford, Harvard, Yale?

It completely depends on his LSAT score

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:19 pm

There's no reason to aim for anything less than 180, especially before he's even taken a diagnostic. After he's studied intensively for a few months and his PT scores start to stabilize, he can evaluate his chances and decide whether to push more or accept where he's at.

And, as others have said, admissions can't be predicted three years out.

kitty1990

Postby kitty1990 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:17 pm

Thanks everyone for such prompt and thorough responses!

About URM: He's Pakistani, so according to ABA that's "Asian." Does that change anything?

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Pakistani / Asian is not considered a URM because their populations are not underrepresented in law schools relative to their populations in the US. Therefore, he wont get an admissions bump based on race/ethnicity

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:50 pm

midwest17 wrote:There's no reason to aim for anything less than 180, especially before he's even taken a diagnostic. After he's studied intensively for a few months and his PT scores start to stabilize, he can evaluate his chances and decide whether to push more or accept where he's at.

This. Whatever admissions look like in a few years, a 180 is always in style. Good luck!

kitty1990

Postby kitty1990 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:16 pm

midnight_circus wrote:
midwest17 wrote:There's no reason to aim for anything less than 180, especially before he's even taken a diagnostic. After he's studied intensively for a few months and his PT scores start to stabilize, he can evaluate his chances and decide whether to push more or accept where he's at.

This. Whatever admissions look like in a few years, a 180 is always in style. Good luck!

Noted! Thanks :)

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Also, I realize that the body of the post talks about T14, but in case you weren't aware: Ivy League is not a meaningful distinction when it comes to law school.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:34 pm

Nova wrote:Pakistani / Asian is not considered a URM because their populations are not underrepresented in law schools relative to their populations in the US. Therefore, he wont get an admissions bump based on race/ethnicity

This ^^^

Plus, now that we know he's not an URM, he should shoot for 170+ to secure a spot at a top school.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 pm

The masters degree gpa won't matter (though the degree itself might be a nice little soft). Unfortunately, given the gpa whoreyness of these schools even a 180 might not get him in. If his score is really high (like 175+) I would say he might have some shot at Harvard and maybe Cal. Stanford and Yale are out no matter what.

Still, a 170 or so should get him in at some really great schools like Northwestern, UVA, etc. His GPA really only precludes him from the 4 schools you specifically mentioned, everywhere else could be fair game depending on the LSAT score.

midwest17

Postby midwest17 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:41 pm

BigZuck wrote:The masters degree gpa won't matter (though the degree itself might be a nice little soft). Unfortunately, given the gpa whoreyness of these schools even a 180 might not get him in. If his score is really high (like 175+) I would say he might have some shot at Harvard and maybe Cal. Stanford and Yale are out no matter what.

Still, a 170 or so should get him in at some really great schools like Northwestern, UVA, etc. His GPA really only precludes him from the 4 schools you specifically mentioned, everywhere else could be fair game depending on the LSAT score.

I wouldn't say Yale is "out no matter what." Very low shot, but they took someone with a 3.13 last year. With a high enough LSAT it's at least possible, given that he'll have 7 years of what sounds like very interesting WE. I could see some Yale profs looking at the WE and the masters and thinking he'd make a good addition to the class.

I'm not saying it will happen. But if it were me, with the right LSAT, I'd pay the application fee.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:46 pm

midwest17 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:The masters degree gpa won't matter (though the degree itself might be a nice little soft). Unfortunately, given the gpa whoreyness of these schools even a 180 might not get him in. If his score is really high (like 175+) I would say he might have some shot at Harvard and maybe Cal. Stanford and Yale are out no matter what.

I wouldn't say Yale is "out no matter what." Very low shot, but they took someone with a 3.13 last year. With a high enough LSAT it's at least possible, given that he'll have 7 years of what sounds like very interesting WE. I could see some Yale profs looking at the WE and the masters and thinking he'd make a good addition to the class.

I'm not saying it will happen. But if it were me, with the right LSAT, I'd pay the application fee.

For sure, I would pay the app fee too. I would just do so with the full knowledge that it ain't gonna happen.

I mean, he has good work experience. That's a good thing. But realistically speaking, it's not Yale good.

If he scores a 170+ then he'll have a very good cycle. He just probably won't be at any of these schools. And that's fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”