New Facilities and Rank

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rduffy5

New Facilities and Rank

Postby rduffy5 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:51 pm

I have an interesting question for all you TLSers. What do you think the relationship is (if any) between a school (and its alumni) investing in itself and building new facilities and the USNWR rank. The way I see it, a new building means alumni who care about the school and the parent university caring about bettering its law school, which can only be good things.

Here's a few schools who are updating their facilities. I am looking mostly at TT schools, so this is where most of the schools are, ranking wise:
- GA State
- Saint Louis U
- Colorado-Boulder
- Syracuse
- Villanova (a little different with the admission scandal)
- American
- Fordham
- Arizona

So what do you think? Won't these schools get better, at least a little bit, due to the investment they're making in themselves? Or is that a stupid theory?

BigZuck

Re: New Facilities and Rank

Postby BigZuck » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:54 pm

Will their betterness help you get a job?

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:55 pm

US News Rankings are worthless.

This is all that matters:
http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

Looking at terms in things of T vs. TT vs. TTT is completely futile in this day and age. Many TTs are among the worst law schools in the country, see Hastings for example; many "T1" schools can ruin you, too.

Domke

Postby Domke » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:04 am

rduffy5 wrote:I have an interesting question for all you TLSers. What do you think the relationship is (if any) between a school (and its alumni) investing in itself and building new facilities and the USNWR rank. The way I see it, a new building means alumni who care about the school and the parent university caring about bettering its law school, which can only be good things.

Here's a few schools who are updating their facilities. I am looking mostly at TT schools, so this is where most of the schools are, ranking wise:
- GA State
- Saint Louis U
- Colorado-Boulder
- Syracuse
- Villanova (a little different with the admission scandal)
- American
- Fordham
- Arizona

So what do you think? Won't these schools get better, at least a little bit, due to the investment they're making in themselves? Or is that a stupid theory?

They're building new buildings because they raised tuition and have more money to spend. It has very little to do with alumni.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:58 pm

californiauser wrote:US News Rankings are worthless.

This is all that matters:
http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

Looking at terms in things of T vs. TT vs. TTT is completely futile in this day and age. Many TTs are among the worst law schools in the country, see Hastings for example; many "T1" schools can ruin you, too.

+1000

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”