REALLY basic question about essays (don't judge me :/)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
paperrev

REALLY basic question about essays (don't judge me :/)

Postby paperrev » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:32 pm

Hey guys. So I've been spending time writing up my statements and filling out my application forms. I have a really basic question that is probably going to sound stupid, but I just wanted to be sure I'm doing it right. I'm almost done with the final edits on my main personal statement. A friend of mine (who got into Harvard and Stanford last year) told me that since I'm gay and an international student, it would probably be in my advantage to write a diversity statement. My question is, are diversity statements separate from one's main personal statement? If I do decide to write one, do I upload these under the supplementary essay section? I'm not sure if it's even worth writing one, but if I do decide to write one, where do I upload it? Also similarly, I took the LSATs 3 times (first time, got really sick and cancelled midway through exam, second time, got jitters and underperformed) - should I write an addendum for this?? And if I do so, where do I post this (I noticed that some schools don't have an "addendum" section)??

Thanks in advance! Sorry if these are all really basic questions :/

mellow

Re: REALLY basic question about essays (don't judge me :/)

Postby mellow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:08 am

You can:
1. Submit a personal statement.
2. Submit a diversity statement as your personal statement.
3. Submit a personal statement + a diversity statement.

If you go with #3, you upload the DS under the supplementary essay section. Some schools have a separate section just for DS.

Don't write an addendum unless you have a valid reason and your LSAT scores varied widely (I think most people agree that "widely" is about 10 points). So in your case, don't write one.

banjo

Postby banjo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:26 am

A diversity statement seems like a good idea in your case. LGBT issues came up in every 1L class I took this semester, and a few professors actively solicited international perspectives on some topics. Being a gay, international student is likely the kind of diversity that law schools want. (In reality, of course, classroom participation is pretty unhelpful.)

paperrev

Postby paperrev » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:42 am

Thank you for the insight! If I do decide to write an addendum, how long do those usually go?? Just from browsing the forum, it seems that some people actually write an whole essay for them, but I can't see any reason for them to go over a paragraph :/

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:49 am

paperrev wrote:Thank you for the insight! If I do decide to write an addendum, how long do those usually go?? Just from browsing the forum, it seems that some people actually write an whole essay for them, but I can't see any reason for them to go over a paragraph :/

A paragraph is fine.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:48 pm

paperrev wrote:Thank you for the insight! If I do decide to write an addendum, how long do those usually go?? Just from browsing the forum, it seems that some people actually write an whole essay for them, but I can't see any reason for them to go over a paragraph :/

It should be a mini personal statement; aim for 1.5 pages.

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:34 pm

bp shinners wrote:

For an LSAT addendum? I think that's what he's asking about, if I read his last sentence in the OP correctly. And an LSAT addendum should never ever be 1.5 pages

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:12 pm

Cicero76 wrote:
bp shinners wrote:

For an LSAT addendum? I think that's what he's asking about, if I read his last sentence in the OP correctly. And an LSAT addendum should never ever be 1.5 pages

RC fail on my part. LSAT addendum should be a paragraph, at most. The diversity essay should be ~1.5 pages as a target.

Sorry!

mellow

Postby mellow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:55 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Cicero76 wrote:
bp shinners wrote:

RC fail on my part. LSAT addendum should be a paragraph, at most. The diversity essay should be ~1.5 pages as a target.

Sorry!

Many schools limit DS to 1 page. Not saying OP shouldn't go over 1 page, but just letting OP know for reference.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”